CODAC Spring Sale offers platform for student artists

Ben DeMarais

The College of Design Art Club (CODAC) kicked off its three-day Spring Sale on Wednesday, featuring the artworks of Iowa State students. The sale was open for all students to enter their work, regardless of involvement with CODAC or the College of Design.

Danielle Robinson, a CODAC member and senior studying English, entered several of her pieces into the sale in addition to volunteering to run the booth located inside the front entrance of the College of Design building.

“It’s an opportunity for student artists to get their work out there in front of other students and artists,” Robinson said. “I mean, it’s a win-win for everyone. People get to stop by and look at art and take it home if they want to. Artists get to collaborate and learn how to run the show if they never have before.”

Robinson also mentioned how the CODAC Spring Sale has the ability to help connect College of Design students with other student artists and faculty members of all disciplines.

Alexandra Alter, a junior in computer engineering, was one of the several students outside of CODAC and College of Design who was invited to include their art in this year’s Spring Sale.

“It’s kind of surprising,” Alter said. “I’m pretty shy and normally don’t show a lot of stuff, but after I got invited to start selling my work here, I was able to step outside of my comfort zone. It really does help students like me, who are more shy, to try to be open and show off their skills and even gain some profit from it.”

Both Robinson and Alter said that the sale has been successful so far, and the club hopes to continue to grow the event in future years.

“I think just by getting [student artists] involved with other people who are interested, it fosters this mindset that you’re not alone as an artist,” Robinson said. “There’s a lot of artists out there and a lot of people who love to talk about art work with us and just explore each other’s art.”

Robinson’s artworks entered in the sale feature an array of miniature ceramic animals in addition to a few cups and vessels. 

“The animals are always really fun; they always sell out very quickly,” Robinson said. “I’m in the ceramics classes, so that’s where I do this work and then it ends up here at the end of the year.”

The CODAC Spring Sale is just one of the many opportunities that the organization offers to students. In addition to art sales, CODAC provides members a chance to participate in gallery tours, hands-on workshops and field trips.

“We’re a really friendly group,” Robinson said. “We love to share our art, and we love when people just come to look and buy things. CODAC itself is just drop-in when you want. People can get involved at a high level if they want to, but it’s also just kind of a nice free space to exist in.”

CODAC will continue the student artwork sale through the end of the week, and it will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. 

For more information about the CODAC organization, students can contact the club’s adviser, Ingrid Lilligren, arts and visual culture professor, at [email protected].