Iowa State soccer edges out Northern Colorado to stay undefeated

Tyler Coe
Mira Emma kicks the ball towards the goalkeeper against Omaha on Sept. 15.

The Iowa State soccer season is now in full swing, as the Cyclones came away from their first road trip with a 1-0 win over Northern Colorado.

The Cyclones were 1-0 on the season, entering their matchup with Northern Colorado. They took down a soon-to-be Big 12 rival Thursday by powering past Arizona 2-1 to open the season.

The win over Arizona also marked the 100th home win for the Cyclones. Although Arizona got the first goal, the Cyclones bounced back almost immediately. It was all Iowa State from that point on, as the Cyclones pulled out on top early and held the lead through the remaining minutes.

The Cyclones picked up their second win of the season Sunday by edging out Northern Colorado. Mira Emma was the star of the day, as her lone penalty kick in the 50th minute gave the Cyclones the 1-0 win.

The first half was quiet for both teams. The Cyclones put on the pressure early, outshooting the Bears 8-2 in the first half.

Iowa State was putting shots on the net early, but it was the efforts of Northern Colorado’s goalkeeper Kaya Lindberg as she saved six shots that were on target. Cyclone shots found their way all over the net, but Lindberg’s diving saves kept the game knotted at the half.

It was shortly after the second half started that the efforts of Iowa State’s offense paid off. Just 10 minutes in, Emma was fouled on the edge of the box. That foul would give Emma the chance to score off a penalty kick.

Emma found the right side of the net and squeaked the ball under Lindberg to secure the sole goal of the match.

“We put ourselves in a place in the second half where we had to battle because we weren’t ruthless enough in the first,” Iowa State head coach Matt Fannon said. “But our ability to get the job done and win the game is what matters, and we were fully deserving.”

Although Northern Colorado outshot the Cyclones in the second half, nothing connected as Iowa State goalkeeper Avery Gillahan was airtight. Gillahan’s sole save of the day propelled her to her first career clean sheet.

Eight Cyclones finished the day with shots, as seven of the 12 were on goal. Emma and Salome Prat were the big aggressors of the day, recording three shots a piece.

It was an overall balanced offensive effort from the Cyclones as they continue their winning streak to open the 2023 season. The start of the season has been the polar opposite of the season prior, as Iowa State’s first win in 2022 didn’t come until the fourth game of the season.

The next challenge for the Cyclones is an important road test. Iowa State will travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the Hawkeyes in the annual Cy-Hawk matchup.

Iowa State got the better of Iowa in last season’s meeting, coming out on top 2-1. Although the matchup was in Ames, the Cyclones will look to show off their talented new roster and carry the momentum to Iowa City.

The Cy-Hawk matchup will start at 7 p.m. Thursday in Iowa City. The match will also be streamed live on Big Ten Plus.