Avery Gillahan picks up Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors after impactful first week

Daniel Jacobi II
Cyclone soccer team celebrates crucial goal in eventual loss to Baylor on Oct. 13.

In her first week of collegiate play, Avery Gillahan earned Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors after picking up a pair of wins which included a clean sheet outing.

The redshirt freshman wasted no time to make her presence felt and played a huge role in helping the Cyclones start the season 2-0 for the first time since 2015.

Gillahan saved three scores, a pair against Arizona and the third against Northern Colorado. That save helped keep the Bears scoreless and was the most recent sign of her early success in the net.

The Ohio native talked about what her teammates mean to her when she’s on the field and how their drive to win has rubbed off on her.

“Working for the people around me,” Gillahan said. “It’s obvious to see how much everyone else wants it, and it’s hard not to want it as well.”

Gillahan’s promising first two starts have given her team confidence that she can fill the role of star goalkeeper Jordan Silkowitz, who was the first Cyclone to be drafted into the NWSL. Silkowitz finished with the fifth most saves in school history (324) in her 43 starts.

Head Coach Matt Fannon commended his young goalie for stepping up and the presence she’s shown since becoming the starter.

“We’re really proud of the way that she’s stepped into some very big shoes,” Fannon said.

Gillahan is the first player from Iowa State to win the award since Lauren McConnell in 2021 and the seventh in school history.

The Cyclones will look to remain undefeated in their next matchup against Iowa at 8 p.m. Thursday in Iowa City. Iowa State bested the Hawkeyes 2-1 in Ames last season.