Cyclones hope to start Big 12 schedule off right with matchup against the Cowgirls

Maeley Rosengren
Head coach Matt Fannon giving out fist bumps to his team at the Iowa State vs. Kentucky Women’s Soccer match at the Cyclone Sports Complex on Sept. 10, 2023.

The Iowa State soccer team looks to get their first conference play win in over two years when the team hosts the Oklahoma State Cowgirls at 5 p.m. Thursday.

Last year the Cyclones faced Oklahoma State and lost 1-0 in Stillwater, adding to their overall Big 12 record of 0-7-2. It is no secret that the Cyclones in the Big 12 are historically a losing team. Under head coach Matt Fannon, Iowa State has never beaten the Cowgirls.

“Over the years if you look at the history we’ve lost to these teams,” Fannon said. “We haven’t put up a fight. I think that the biggest thing is just; Can our women believe that we can change that? Can we change that because it’s possible to do it? There’s no reason we can’t.”

Fannon believes that Oklahoma State is a good team, however if the Cyclones come out and play the style they practice every day, they are just as good of a team. The question is: where does that belief come from?

On the other hand, the Oklahoma State soccer team has seen the ball go in the back of the net plenty of times. The team is 5-1 in the last 6 games, outscoring opponents 20-3. The Cowgirls are 6-2 to start the season, however, both losses have come on the road.

As a team, Oklahoma State is averaging 21 shots a game and 3 goals per game. The team has gotten many set pieces and corner kicks. A few things the Cyclones defense did not do a good job of defending when they lost 3-0 to the Kentucky Wildcats.

Junior forward Hannah Chance leads the Cowgirls with 7 goals, 13 shots on goal, and 14 points on the season. Sophomore forward Logan Heausler, sophomore midfielder Xcaret Pineda, freshman forward Adelhia Ghonda and Chance have a combined 86 shots on the season. That’s 51.2% of the team’s total offense.

The Cyclones will look to slow down the dominant Cowgirl offense, just like they did last year when Oklahoma State won the game 1-0 off a penalty kick.

Iowa State has yet to get their offense going consistently this season. Although the Cyclones have already matched last year’s win total eight games into the year, they’ve yet to put together a notable winning streak.

When the Cyclones score at least two goals they have either won or tied. Two seems to be the magic number for Iowa State. They just need to find a way to get open.

“This new group that we have, we have a lot of young ones and a lot of new older ones,” Abigail Miller, an Arkansas State transfer, said. “I think this new group that we have has a very different mindset. Going into this year’s conference play versus last year’s so I think that is going to play a very big role in our big twelve games”.

Miller addressed the change in culture and locker room mentality ahead of Thursday’s duel against Big 12 foe, Oklahoma State.

“One of the key things we have to do is just take the shot, rather than finding someone else to take the shot,” Miller said. “If we are down in certain scenarios what else do we have to lose? [We] might as well just go ourselves.”

The Cyclones continue to find themselves being outshot, out-cornered and out-matched in their last few matches, especially in Big 12 play over the years. They look to change their past this year and start competing against conference rivals.

Thursday’s game against Oklahoma State is set to start at 5 p.m. at home and will be broadcast on ESPN+.