Free Ames events for the rest of the week

The Octagon Center for the Arts on 427 Douglas Ave. in Downtown Ames. 

Nearly one month into the new semester, students’ appetite for activities to keep them busy hasn’t diminished, but the amount of money in their wallets has. Thankfully, Iowa State University and the City of Ames have plenty of free events planned for the rest of the week.

Tuesday

Dr. Penny Wheeler will give a lecture about alcohol education and culture on the Iowa State campus at 5:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Great Hall. Her daughter, Olivia Chutich, died of hypothermia and acute alcohol intoxication in her sorority’s parking lot in January 2021. The lecture will be recorded, and a link will be posted on the Iowa State University Lecture Series website 36-48 hours after the event.

Wednesday

Emily Bernhardt, Ph.D., will deliver her “Do Rivers Have Rhythm? Describing the Energetic Regimes of Flowing Waters” lecture at 6 p.m. in the Memorial Union Sun Room. The lecture is co-sponsored by the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology. The lecture will be recorded, and a link will be posted on the Iowa State University Lecture Series website 36-48 hours after the event.

Thursday

In remembrance of the 100-year anniversary of Jack Trice’s death, artist Ivan Depeña created the “Breaking Barriers” sculpture that was installed outside of Jack Trice Stadium. Depeña will be on the second floor of the Scheman Building at 4:30 p.m. to discuss his creative process.

The Maximum Ames Musical Festival will kick off its concert series Thursday. The festival will host 104 free concerts at 21 locations across Ames through Sunday. The first concerts will begin at 5:30 p.m. in downtown Ames, with Emily Hileman performing at Chocolaterie Stam, Vella and Tabbi performing at Morning Bell Coffee and Jordan Messerole performing at Dog-Eared Books. More information can be found on the festival’s Facebook page.

Karen Kedrowski, Ph.D. and Director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, will present her “It’s Not Done: Women’s Constitutional Equality” lecture in Room 2630 of the Memorial Union at 6 p.m. There will be a follow-up discussion on Friday, Sept. 22, from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. in 353 Catt Hall. The lecture will be recorded, and a link will be posted on the Iowa State University Lecture Series website 36-48 hours after the event.

Cyclone Cinema will show “Across the Spiderverse” this week in Carver 101. The movie will be shown through Sunday and starts at 7 p.m. every night. Admission is free, with snacks and drinks priced at $1 and $2.

Saturday

The Ames Farmers’ Market will be held on Main Street from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Visitors can interact with local farmers, craftspeople and vendors while enjoying food from Ames restaurants and listening to free music.

Sunday

The Octagon Center for the Arts will host their 52nd annual Octagon Art Festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in downtown Ames. Artists, vendors and entertainers will all be present at the event.

Week-long

Alexandra Ackerman’s “Serious Play Exhibit” will be displayed in the Memorial Union Art Gallery all week. Multimedia pieces detail the artist’s search for harmony and order in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. The art gallery is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.