ISSO hosts trip to Ledges State Park for international students

Emily Blobaum
A scene from Ledges State Park in Boone, Iowa.

The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) employs international student advisers with years of experience in the U.S. and abroad. These advisers provide service and informative programming for international students, visiting scholars and their families, according to the organization’s website.

The mission of the International Students and Scholars Office is to provide immigration services, personal support and cross-cultural expertise within a welcoming and supportive environment for international students and scholars throughout their university experience.

Iowa State’s ISSO chapter held a hiking trip to Ledges State Park in Boone, Iowa, on Sept. 9. The group of students had the opportunity to make connections and discover the landscape of Ledges State Park.

The day started early, with participants gathering on campus.

The International Students Scholars Office had a full schedule in store for the group’s day-long adventure. Games were organized during breaks, fostering friendly competition and bonding among participants.

“It was kind of cool to just introduce some people to something that I enjoy and to try to spread that joy of the outdoors to more people,” ISSO staff member Alexander Schumacher, who led the trip, said.

ISSO has several upcoming trips and events planned to ensure that international students continue to have opportunities and enjoy their time in their new home. 

Some of these upcoming events include Dinner in Des Moines, in which students will travel to downtown Des Moines and have dinner at some of the highest-rated restaurants. Attendees will only be responsible for covering their own meal, with the rest of the costs being covered by ISSO. 

Another event is the Cultural Ambassador Program (CAP), a semester-long program that pairs international students and U.S. students together based on mutual interests and hobbies. 

All international and domestic undergraduate, graduate students and scholars in the Iowa State community can be a part of CAP. 

Members of the organization understand being far from home can be challenging for students, but seek to create opportunities to explore local areas, make new friends and create lasting memories.

Further details about ISSO can be found on its website.