Former Vice President Mike Pence to attend virtual open forum discussion with ISU students

Daniel Jacobi II
Republican presidential candidate former Vice President Mike Pence speaks during the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition 23rd Annual Fall Banquet Presidential Town Hall on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines, Iowa.

Former Vice President Mike Pence will attend a virtual open forum discussion with Iowa State students at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday in room 2630 of the Memorial Union. 

The Associated Press, Georgetown University, Clemson University and the University of New Hampshire are all in partnership with Iowa State University to organize students at each school to participate in conversation with Pence, who is campaigning for the Republican nomination for the upcoming 2024 presidential election. 

“For us, we think this is a really valuable opportunity for Cyclones,” said Dave Peterson, Lucken professor of political science at Iowa State. “Being in Iowa usually gives us a unique opportunity to meet these candidates and ask them the questions we want answered.  This cycle, for whatever reason, the candidates have not been as available to the public, so this series will be replacing some of that.” 

The event will commence with students submitting their questions. At 3 p.m., Pence will livestream in from Washington D.C. and answer questions from students directing them at a camera. 

All students are welcome and encouraged to research Pence’s policies and platforms prior to submitting discussion questions. 

“Iowans get an outsized influence in the nomination process,” Peterson said. “Candidates listen to our questions and concerns, and we get access like no other state. But that also comes with a responsibility. We need to take the vetting of candidates seriously because other states do not get this opportunity. Students have a unique perspective on the issues, and these types of events are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to present your ideas to political leaders.”

This open forum discussion will be the first of what the partnership of universities hopes to be a series where students can interact with other presidential candidates. 

Questions or concerns can be directed to [email protected]