Memorial Union to hold full slate of events throughout the week

Katarina Kotek
Iliyana Sedyankove, left, and Junior Joseph Schoettmer, right, sing karaoke at AfterDark in the Memorial Union.

The Memorial Union has a full schedule of events planned to kick off the first week of October. Students are invited to participate in workshops, pottery, other crafts and more.

The Workspace is celebrating National Latino Heritage Month with culturally inspired crafts all month long. This week, students will have the opportunity to create their own Alebrije sculptures. These sculptures combine elements of common animals and transform them into new fantastical creatures.

Alebrije sculptures first originated from Mexican artist Pedro Linares López, who first dreamed of the creatures during the 1930s. Today, López’s art lives on as his sculptures have become a popular cultural craft for indigenous families throughout Mexico.

The event will be open to all ages, including children if accompanied by an adult. The craft will cost $6 to create in-studio or $8 to-go. More information about the history of Alebrije sculptures and other folk art crafts is available at The Workspace, located in the basement of the Memorial Union.

This week, The Workspace will also be hosting Dungeons and Dragons Week. Students can create various board game-inspired crafts such as mugs and dice boxes. This event will also be available to all ages if accompanied by an adult. The crafts will be available from 2-9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Participants can also take a kit to go for an additional $3.

Another creative opportunity being hosted by The Workspace this week is a mixed-level pottery class hosted by Alice McGary. The class offers an introduction to working on a pottery wheel and will teach participants techniques such as glazing and finishing. After learning some of the basics, participants will have the opportunity to create their own bowls, mugs and other forms.

These sessions will take place over the course of six weeks, beginning from 2:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesday. The cost to register is $120 for Iowa State students and $130 for the general public. The class will be limited to those 18 and up. All supplies will be included in the class fee. Students and visitors can register for the course on MIDWESTIX under The Workspace’s page.

The Leaders Workshop Series will be hosting a workshop for students interested in learning more about how to get involved as leaders within student organizations on campus. The session is titled “Constitution, Recognition, and Compliance” and aims to inform students on how to create their own student organizations, the steps to recognition and the steps for creating and revising a student organization’s constitution. The workshop will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday in room 3560 of the Memorial Union. Students can register for the workshop on the student engagement website.

The Student Union Board will be hosting a meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the Maintenance Shop. Students are invited to drop by to learn more about what the Student Union Board does, learn more about campus events and socialize with fellow students.

The Maintenance Shop will also be hosting Grandma Mojo’s Improv Comedy on Wednesday. This week, the group of Iowa State students will be introducing a new member to the cast of Mojo’s. Doors to the Maintenance Shop will open at 7 p.m. with the start time set for 8 p.m. Admission is $1 for students and visitors.

For students interested in more craft opportunities, The Workspace will be hosting two more opportunities Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday night will be a Sugar Skull Embroidery Class hosted by Judy Lemish, celebrating Hispanic heritage and The Day of the Dead.

The cost for the class is $30 for students and $40 for the public. Thursday will offer students a chance to try their hand at woodworking with a honeycomb wall shelf class taught by John Burright. The event is open to those ages 18 and over. The cost of the class is $75 for students and $85 for the public

Cyclone Cinema will be showing “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” this week in Carver 101. Showtime is at 7 p.m Thursday and Friday. Admission is free for all students.