1932: A Book Review

A review of Scott Martelle’s upcoming historical narrative
Opinion Editor Caleb Weingarten reviews Scott Martelles 1932.
Courtesy of Kensington Publishing Corp.
Opinion Editor Caleb Weingarten reviews Scott Martelle’s “1932.”

“1932” by veteran journalist Scott Martelle is a thought-provoking and original account of a decisive year in America. Written as a historical narrative, Martelle details the political climate and lives of Americans as they struggled to pull themselves from the grips of the Great Depression. 

Exploring issues of Prohibition, government intervention, workers’ rights and more, Martelle deftly fuses historical scholarship with a highly readable tone and cadence that allows readers to transport to a time they may have previously known nothing about. 

In light of the1932” release to the public on Nov. 28, 2023, Scott was gracious enough to sit down with me and discuss his upcoming book.

Martelle described how he became infatuated with the political dynamics of the time. Furthermore, he said that “1932” was different from other books he had written previously, such as “The Madman and the Assassin” and “William Walker’s Wars.” Namely, he aimed to take a broader historical approach in “1932” rather than investigate a highly specific event.  

Martelle covered the presidential reign of Herbert Hoover, who stuck true to his conservative roots and policies, and the eventual rise of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, carrying with him his interventionist approach to governing. As the title suggests, Martelle dubbed this a significant shift in the course of American politics. 

An important aspect of “1932” was the context it gave to the views of ordinary people during times of tribulation. Throughout the book, we are introduced to diary entries and newsreels that allow the voices of the marginalized to speak their side of the story. Too many books discuss historical events from a single point of view. Martelle differs in this regard. 

Why read “1932”? The book is immensely practical and helps readers understand American politics in the modern era while also delivering an impressive history lesson.

If you are interested in history or non-fiction books, this is a must-have for the bookshelf.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500