Calling all Swifties: Eras Tour music to be featured at fitness event

Courtesy of Rec Services

An Eras Tour fitness event featuring four types of exercise and music from Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour will take place from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday at State Gym.

The night will consist of jump fitness, pilates, cycling and cardio dance classes for participants to rotate through, with each session lasting 20 minutes. The night will include music from Swift’s debut album, Fearless, 1989, Reputation and Lover.

Each exercise will be set to a beginner level to ensure the event can be welcoming to people from all types of fitness backgrounds. 

“You’re going to kind of just get a little dip of your toe into what that type of workout would be,” Betsy Marlow, a senior studying kinesiology and health, said. “That’s something I really wanted to focus on…it’s hard to fit exercise classes into your schedule, so this is a good way that you can try a lot of classes all at one time.” 

Marlow, a fitness instructor for Recreation Services, created the event based on a late night thought that she decided to share with her supervisor. 

“I was like ‘the Eras Tour is such a major success, how can we bring that sort of environment to Iowa state?'” Marlow said. “I really just wanted someplace where I could find my fellow Swifites.”

Marlow went to The Eras Tour: Minneapolis over the summer and is hoping to bring a similar experience to Iowa State’s campus. 

“The concert had the most positive environment,” Marlow said. “Everyone was so nice, and everyone around me was just screaming and singing. I got to know the people that were standing next to me and we all exchanged Snapchats.” 

Recreation Services will provide each registered participant with a friendship bracelet, and they encourage people to also bring their own bracelets to trade with others. 

Trading friendship bracelets became a popular trend throughout Swift’s Eras Tour based on the lyrics to a song from her 2022 Midnights album which read, “So make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it.” 

Marlow brought 80 bracelets to the Minneapolis Eras Tour to trade with other Swifties and is planning to bring some to the event. She also plans to wear an outfit inspired by the Reputation album. 

“I really hope that people come in outfits,” Marlow said. “I know I’m gonna wear the exact outfit I wore for the tour and do my hair all bejeweled…I hope that people really buy into it.”

Marlow said she was unsure if people would show interest in the event, but all 80 spots were taken two hours after Recreation Services released a campus-wide email to announce the details and provide a registration link.

Additional spots for the event cannot be created, but Marlow suggests to keep visiting the registration link in case someone has to cancel their booking. 

“I totally did not expect the success that we’ve had with it,” Marlow said. “I’m really excited, and [the event] should hopefully go really, really well.”