Cyclones in the NFL: Week Five

Jacob Rice/Iowa State Daily
Iowa State running back Breece Hall scores a touchdown against No. 8 Oklahoma State on Oct. 23.

Brock Purdy:

Purdy continued his dominating 2023 season with the 49ers with a win at home against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night, ending 42-10.

What many thought going into this matchup would be the end of San Francisco’s undefeated season turned out to be a one-sided affair as Purdy and the Niners never took their foot off the gas.

Purdy completed 17 of his 24 passes for 252 yards and four touchdown passes, three of which went to former Hawkeyes tight end George Kittle, and now leads the NFL in passer rating (123.1) and quarterback rating (83.7).

Breece Hall:

Going back to week seven in the 2022 season, this was the game where Hall had his successful rookie season come to a halt and left early with a torn ACL.

He seemed to be one of the favorites to be rookie of the year as he recorded 80 carries for 463 yards and four touchdowns in his first seven games for the Jets. In week five of NFL action, Hall and the Jets headed back to Denver where the former second-round pick had his breakout game of the season.

Hall rushed for 177 yards on 22 attempts, including a 72-yard touchdown run which gave the Jets the lead in the third quarter. He also caught three balls for a season-high 17 receiving yards.

With a season so far full of ups and downs for Hall, this game was something he needed not just for himself but for the team to hopefully ride this momentum throughout the season.

David Montgomery:

Montgomery is coming off of a performance in which he had a career-high three touchdowns for Detroit in their win over Green Bay. He now looked to continue his performance against an 0-4 Carolina Panthers team that has not succeeded in stopping the run so far this season.

Montgomery finished with 19 carries for 109 yards and a rushing touchdown in the Lions 42-24 win over the Panthers. Montgomery also recorded two catches for 20 yards for Detroit as well.

With that touchdown, Montgomery now has four games in a row with a score on the ground to start his new campaign with the Lions.

Allen Lazard:

Lazard made his impact known in the Jet’s 31- 21 win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

He is coming off a week where he had a season-high 61 yards receiving as he looked to replicate his performance in this game.

It may not have been the exact type of performance, but he still put up three catches for 33 yards in the win Sunday.

As Lazard is adjusting to not having Aaron Rodgers be his main quarterback, he continues to be making plays for Zach Wilson and the Jets’ offense.

Will McDonald IV:

McDonald did not record any stats for the Jets in their win over the Broncos outside of a fumble recovery on a muffed punt return from Jets wide receiver Xavier Gipson.

He played 17 snaps on defense which is a season high for him as he seems to be getting more playing time in head coach Robert Salah’s defense. McDonald also played 31% of the snaps on special teams in their win Sunday.

The 15th overall pick in the 2023 draft seems to be slowly and surely learning the pace and play of the NFL’s style of play which could earn him some more impactful stats in the future.

Xavier Hutchinson:

Hutchinson did not record any stats for the Texans during the 21-19 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

It has been difficult for Hutchinson to make an impact in such a deep receiving room that the Texans currently hold. With players like Nico Collins, Robert Woods, John Metchie II and Tank Dell it will be hard to see Hutchinson on the offensive side of the ball this season barring any injury.

He did however play some special teams snaps for the Texans on Sunday, but nothing of note as he did not make much of an impact. In total, he played 14% of snaps on the offensive side of the ball, while playing 55% of the snaps on special teams.