Cyclones look to get win streak going versus new Big 12 foe

Daniel Jacobi II
Iowa State players sing the song “The Bells of Iowa State” after defeating Texas Christian 27-14 in the Jack Trice Legacy football game on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023, at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa.

Iowa State got a much-needed win over the TCU Horned Frogs this past Saturday in the Jack Trice Legacy game to keep the potential of being in a bowl game alive.

The defense’s four interceptions acquired in Saturday’s win have them in second place in the Big 12 in total interceptions this season with 10, only behind Oklahoma who has 12.

Now they look to get a two-game win streak going as they look ahead to a new opponent that Iowa State has never faced in football before.

They will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio to take on the newly promoted Big 12 program, the Cincinnati Bearcats.

For defensive back Malik Verdon, it will be a homecoming performance as he will get to travel back to his home state as a member of the Cyclones.

“I can’t wait,” Verdon said. “I was excited to see that I was able to go home to see my family and they get to see me play since they don’t get to see me play a lot.”

Verdon had himself a game against TCU, as he collected his first collegiate interception while also having eight total tackles and six solo tackles. Verdon has risen up to be a key contributor to the team.

The Bearcats have not started out their Big 12 campaign on the right foot, as they suffered a 20-6 loss to Oklahoma at home and a 35-27 loss to BYU in Provo, Utah, and they will want this win more than anything.

Defensive lineman J.R. Singleton knows the challenges of facing big-name running backs, but with Cincinnati having multiple different backs that could change the game around, he’s focused on stopping them in their tracks early on.

“The number one thing is to get them to a third-and-long,” Singleton said. “If we play third-and-short, it’ll be a long game. They like to keep the ball and control the possession, so we just gotta get off the field as quick as possible.”

Cincinnati does have three running backs, Ryan Montgomery, Myles Montgomery and Corey Kiner, who all have over 100 yards rushing so far this season.

Kiner has gotten most of the workload, however, as he’s surpassed 400 yards rushing with two rushing touchdowns.

The one problem that has stuck out in the Cyclone’s defense has been tackling. Many opportunities were lost when they could have finished off a play, but instead it ended up being a big gain due to a missed tackle.

Head coach Matt Campbell realizes there is an issue regarding the tackling problem and knows they will have to fix it quickly before continuing on their Big 12 season where the competition only gets tougher.

“There is definitely room for improvement regarding that aspect,” Campbell said. “There were times where I thought we didn’t tackle great, but then there were other times in key situations where we tackled well. It continues to be a focus for us, and we know we need to be better.”

Iowa State will need to improve on this issue fast, as they face a Cincinnati offense led by veteran quarterback Emory Jones that can make you miss and make big plays when they see fit.

Defensive coordinator Jon Heacock discussed how Jones’ play has supplemented him well and how he will need his defense to go out and play their best to hold him down as a duel threat option.

“I see a guy out there that makes a lot of big plays,” Heacock said. “He’s a dangerous guy and has played a lot of snaps, so we’re gonna have to be at our best against them.”

Jones has thrown for over 1,200 yards and has also rushed for 280 yards, which will make him a dangerous threat to the Cyclone defense.

Iowa State’s matchup against the Bearcats is set to kick off at 11 a.m. Saturday in Cincinnati and will be aired on FS1.