Cyclones head to Stanford in hopes of ending their sluggish fall golf season strong

Photo courtesy of Iowa State Athletics
Taglao Jeeravivitaporn stands next to Iowa State women’s golf Head Coach Christie Martens at the 2019 Big 12 Women’s Golf Championship on April 14, 2019.

The Cyclone women’s golf team will make their return to the green following their 18-day break after their 14th-place finish at the Windy City Classic in Chicago. The team heads to Stanford, California, to play in the Stanford Intercollegiate.

The team has participated in three tournaments, which all resulted in losses and bottom-half finishes. Their three prior appearances came at the Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma, and the Windy City Classic in Chicago.

The Dick McGuire Invitational was the season opener for the Cyclones where they marked their best finish of the season as they found themselves in ninth place. The team also failed to present a top-10 finisher, with the highest-placed Cyclone, sophomore Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn coming in at 14th.

The Schooner Fall Classic occurred second and again presented a lackluster finish for the Cyclones where the team finished 10th of 15 teams. Again, the Cyclones managed no top-10 finishers but generally had their best tournament of the season, as far as play is concerned.

The Windy City Classic marked the final tournament prior to the Stanford Intercollegiate and the penultimate outing for the fall season. This tournament was the worst finish of the season, with the team barely finishing in 14th of 15, only beating the last-place team, Illinois, by a difference of 11 points. Following the pattern of the first two tournaments, the Cyclones again failed to produce a top-10 finisher.

All three tournaments were played by the same roster of five, with seniors Tess Blair and Liyana Durisic, sophomores Pammy Chookaew and Chul-Ak-Sorn, and freshman Keeley Marx.

Chul-Ak-Sorn finished first for the Cyclones in all three, where she finished 14th in each tournament. The Cyclone has been a consistent piece for the team thus far.

The Stanford Intercollegiate stands as a chance for the team to change their direction for the upcoming spring season. There is no erasing the disappointing finishes of the first three tournaments, but the opportunity to prove the spring season could be a turnaround.

The Stanford Intercollegiate opens Friday and concludes Sunday. This tournament will mark the end of the fall season and set the Cyclones on a significant break until the opener of the spring season.