Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones’ season comes to an end in 1-0 loss at home to Texas Tech

Matteo Bender
Sophia Thomas kicking the ball up the field during the Iowa State vs. Texas Tech match, Cyclone Sports Complex, Oct. 23, 2023.

With everything to play for the Cyclone soccer team, they came out and played well in the first half and were down 1-0 going into the break as Texas Tech dominated the half.

The Cyclones fought and played much better in the second half but in the end, it was not enough. The Cyclones fell 1-0 ending their season. Here are the three big takeaways from Iowa State’s final game of the season.

Red Raiders dominate first half

The Cyclones stayed very close in the first half only down 1-0, but they had to feel very lucky going into the locker room.

Texas Tech outshot Iowa State 16-5, Had seven more shots on goal than the Cyclones, and had a corner kick advantage of 7-1. The only category the Cyclones won in the first half was with the fouls as the Red Raiders doubled up the Cyclone’s fouls 6-3 in the half.

Offense struggles once again

All season the Cyclone offense has been anything but spectacular as nine times this year they have tallied one or fewer goals. Tonight the offensive struggles continued.

In the first half, Iowa State could not get anything going and were outshot by 11, and trailed in total corner kicks by six.

In the second half, the Cyclones played better having three more shots but they all came at the end with a chance to tie but couldn’t find the net.

Avery Gillahan fantastic again

All season long Iowa State goalkeeper Avery Gillahan has been phenomenal. She constantly kept the Cyclones in games with her play and tonight was no different.

The Red Raiders put tons of pressure on her from the get-go as in the first half alone Gillahan faced 16 shots with eight of them on goal. Gillahan made six saves to keep the Cyclones in striking distance going into the break only down 1-0.

The second half showed the Cyclone’s defense as a team get better as they held the Red Raiders to four shots in the second half. Gillahan made one save in the second half as well.

Gillahan has been a bright spot for the Cyclones all year and the Cyclones will look to build off of her for next season.