Shanks: Taking care of business

Tyler Coe
Jim Bonifas ready to snap the ball against Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati on Oct. 14, 2023.

Iowa State’s pair of commanding road wins showed that they are still a part of the top dogs in the Big 12, and the team is prepared for a shot at proving the doubters wrong.

Let’s go back to the Cyclones’ win over TCU, the last time they played at home, which was almost a month ago. That was a “get-right game” that got Iowa State back to .500 but only reinforced the notion that not only can they only win at home, but it is the one place where they can play a complete game.

Over their last two games, the Cyclones have played their best football this season and showed that the worries of having to play in enemy territory have been thrown out the window.

In the 30-18 win over Baylor, what stood out to me was the Cyclones’ ability to jump out and take the lead, something they haven’t done a good job of all season. Rocco Becht’s touchdown connection early in the first quarter not only gave Iowa State a lead they would hold on to all game but showed for one of the first times this season that the offense wanted to be the aggressor early on and not the defense.

That touchdown toss from Becht was the first opening touchdown drive for the Cyclones this season and is one of the many signs of growth from this young team that is immensely better than they were heading into the two-game road trip.

Although it felt like the Cyclones had a few missed opportunities in or around the red zone and had their fair share of mistakes on both sides of the ball against Baylor, they never completely let the game get away from them. The same could be said about the Cincinnati game, and the team’s ability to still win games on the road even when things don’t go their way shows just how much they have grown since the start of the season.

In September, this team was incapable of marching into Athens, Ohio, and getting a win. After that loss, it seemed like Iowa State was going to be outmatched by every team in the Big 12 and we’d see a repeat of last season.

But since entering conference play, it seems like the Cyclones have straightened their ties, shined their shoes and taken care of business. The play of Becht and the rest of the offense complemented by one of the best defenses in the country has shown the true potential of this team.

I’m surprised by the 4-1 conference record, but I’m more impressed with how the Cyclones have continued to get better and make other teams play their worst games. It seems like what has worked for Iowa State is limiting its best weapons on offense and dominating on defense enough for the Cyclones to take the lead.

Iowa State will now return home to face off against a hungry Kansas team that did a major favor for the handful of contenders in the Big 12 by knocking off Oklahoma 38-33.

It seems like the Cyclones are done surprising people as they have shown the one-score losses due to uninventive play calling are a thing of the past. They still control their own fate in terms of getting back to Arlington, Texas, in December, and with how well each side of the ball has been playing, don’t be surprised if that once-foolish dream in the offseason becomes a reality.