Fall Fest offers hay bale toss, giveaways and more

Julia Pedroza

A week-long event featuring free food, pottery painting and dog therapy will be hosted by the Inter-Residence Hall Association (IRHA) from Monday to Friday at various locations across campus.

Fall Fest is an annual IRHA event put on by students, for students, using the housing fees collected from individuals living on campus.

“The event gives residents an opportunity to better connect with the community that they live in, as well as get some free stuff, which everyone loves,” said Haley Salyars, a junior studying global resource systems and co-director of events for IRHA.

Each day of the week will feature a different activity for students to attend. Salyars said the events will take place in various locations across campus and include varying levels of commitment to try to accommodate students’ busy schedules.

“We hope that we use all the funds we received from residents in a way that they can benefit from or have a good time,” Salyars said.

Monday – Fall in love with paws

Students will have the opportunity to hang out with dogs from 5:30–7 p.m. in Linden Hall. Each dog will be accompanied by a fun fact, such as “I like to sit on your feet” and “I like to show you my tricks.”

There will also be supplies for students to build their own stuffed animals with stuffing, skins and t-shirts provided by IRHA. 

Tuesday – Towers of terror

There will be a Halloween party featuring a hay bale toss, snacks and a pumpkin weight guessing contest from 6–9 p.m. at Wallace and Wilson Hall. Salyars said there will also be gift card prizes for students to win. 

“The people in towers really brought [the event] to IRHA as an event idea, and we were able to help them, support them and make it happen,” Salyars said. 

Wednesday – Workspace pottery

Students are invited to paint pottery from 5–8 p.m. in the Memorial Union south ballroom. Salyars said the Workspace will provide a general selection of pieces for students to select from to meet a wide range of interests. 

“I feel like it’s a great option because some students love to paint pottery but they’re like ‘I don’t want to pay $17,’ so it gives that opportunity to students who want to go but don’t have the money,” Salyars said. 

Walk-ins are welcome, but students are encouraged to register ahead of time. Participants should also be prepared to show their student ID.  

Thursday – Cups on campus

IRHA representatives will be giving out free metal thermos cups at the Union Drive Community Center (UDCC) Plaza and BWR arches. The cups, which come with straws, feature a white IRHA logo against a black background. 

Katie Kangas, a sophomore studying graphic design and co-director of events for IRHA, said this is a grab-and-go event for students with busy schedules who do not have time to hang out at an event.

Friday – Caramel apple car

To round the week off, IRHA will host another grab-and-go event consisting of apples, caramel and other sugary toppings at the UDCC Plaza and BWR arches.

Salyaras compared the event to a walking taco bar. Students will receive a bundle of sliced apples and will have the chance to include as many or as little add-ons as they want.