Cyclones in the NFL: Week Eight

Zach Netteland/Iowa State Daily
Breece Hall has the potential to be Iowa State’s second first-round pick in program history.

Brock Purdy

Coming into this matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals, quarterback Brock Purdy started to show signs of struggle as the 49ers lost their first two games of the season.

Purdy’s play Sunday was not enough to help San Francisco get out of this losing streak, as they fell to the Bengals by a score of 31-17.

This was also the third straight week that the 49ers have scored exactly 17 points, as they could not get past Cincinnati on Sunday.

The final stats that Purdy recorded on the day were completing 22 of his 31 passing attempts with 365 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

Purdy also ended up being the leading rusher on the team, as he ran for 57 yards on six attempts, with his longest run going for 16 yards.

With these two interceptions, it will be the first time that Purdy has thrown two interceptions in back-to-back games in his NFL career.

He has also thrown at least one interception in the past three games, as Purdy has fallen into a bit of a slump this season.

San Francisco will luckily have their bye this upcoming week, as the 49ers will look to fine-tune their plays if they want to break out of this three-game losing streak.

Will McDonald IV

Will McDonald IV, defensive end, collected his second career solo tackle in the Jets overtime win over the New York Giants on Sunday by a score of 13-10.

He once again played a part in both the defense and special teams units but ended up still being used more on special teams in this game.

McDonald IV played 43% of the special teams snaps in their win over the Giants, which has been the highest amount he has played on this unit for the Jets this season.

However, the first-round pick only played 11% of the defensive snaps in this game, as he has seen a decrease in play on that side of the ball.

While the Jets seem to be battling to stay over .500 on the season, McDonald IV slowly and surely seems to be showing that he can be a playmaker for the team.

Allen Lazard

Wide Receiver Allen Lazard helped play his part in the Jets overtime win over the Giants on Sunday, as he caught three passes for 45 yards.

While these numbers don’t jump off the page, Lazard still made key plays that kept the Jets from losing this game.

Lazard was targeted a season-high six times on Sunday as he tries to help make Jets quarterback Zach Wilson’s job a little easier.

He will look to help the Jets continue their success as they get a long week to prepare for a Monday night clash with the LA Chargers at home.

Breece Hall

Breece Hall, running back, had once again made more of an impact in the receiving game rather than the rushing game in the Jet’s overtime win against the Giants on Sunday.

In the game, Hall rushed for only 17 yards on 12 attempts, as he could not get anything going on the ground for the Jets.

But this did not matter, as Hall recorded six catches for 76 yards and a touchdown, with his longest being a 50-yard catch and run that resulted in a score for the Jets.

Hall looks to continue to show the Jets that he can be a dual-threat player, as he is making his presence felt as a receiver.

Anthony Johnson Jr.

Anthony Johnson Jr., Safety, played in his first NFL game for the Green Bay Packers but did not make much of an impact in their 24-10 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

The Packers had not seemed to use the seventh-round pick at all, as Johnson Jr. battled being inactive throughout the first seven weeks of the NFL season.

But in this game against the Vikings, Green Bay gave Johnson Jr. his chance to not just play on special teams but also on defense.

Johnson Jr. played in 30% of the special teams snaps for Green Bay while also getting in six percent of snaps on the defensive side of the ball.

While Johnson Jr. did not record any stats, he got his opportunity to finally appear in his first-ever NFL game, and he will certainly look to make more of his presence felt as the season goes on.

Green Bay now looks ahead to take on the LA Rams at home on Sunday as they look to rebound after some tough losses.

Jake Hummel

Linebacker Jake Hummel was once again limited to just special teams snaps in the Rams loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday by a score of 43-20.

However, Hummel’s play on the special teams unit has gained him more playing time, as in Sunday’s matchup versus Dallas, Hummel recorded a season-high of snaps on special teams with a 93% rate.

He did not make any tackles in Sunday’s loss, but he does continue to show his importance to the Rams’ special teams unit with the improved playing time.

While he may be limited to just special teams snaps, Hummel continues to show that he could make an impact in a way that could help the Rams find further success in the future.

Looking ahead to next week, the Rams will look to right the ship Sunday as they head to Green Bay, Wisconsin, to take on the Packers.

Charlie Kolar

Tight end Charlie Kolar had seen an uptick in his offensive playing time this weekend in the Ravens 31-24 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

While the fourth-round pick got an uptick in offensive snaps, he was still used in the special teams unit, as he recorded 57% of the Ravens snaps.

For his offensive snaps, Kolar was on the field 22% of the time for Baltimore’s offense, as the Ravens seem to be transitioning him into having more of a presence in the offense instead of special teams.

Kolar could have his chance to make more of an impact for the Ravens, as they get to host the Seattle Seahawks in what should be a tough game Sunday.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500