Players to Watch: Kansas

Daniel Jacobi II
Iowa State’s Cartevious Norton runs the ball during the first half of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series football game against Iowa on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa.

Iowa State:

Cartevious Norton – Running back

Norton should be just one of the Cyclones running backs that will find success against a Jayhawk defense that has allowed over 200 rushing yards in its last four straight games. Along with the growth of the offensive line, Norton has also become more productive with 133 yards and 5.1 yards per carry over his last three games.

While Eli Sanders has been the most productive back throughout the season, Norton finally showed off what he’s capable of doing when the offensive line creates a hole, which was highlighted by his 49-yard touchdown run against Baylor. 

Another factor in Norton’s favor is that he was not available for the Kansas game last season, so while the Jayhawks have film on him against other teams, they will be getting their first real taste of his style of running, which has developed throughout the season.

Malik Verdon – Defensive back

Outside of being one of the new members of the Cyclone defense who has a knack for forcing turnovers, Verdon has also played a huge role in stuffing plays quickly from the secondary. In the last few conference games, Verdon has played more like a linebacker, swallowing up ball carriers and blowing up plays at a solid rate.

After not playing the first two conference games, Verdon has made his presence felt with 15 total tackles and a pair of picks in the last three games. With lots of his tackles coming in the open field, his skills will come in handy against a Kansas team that has been known to rip off a big run often.

Tyler Onyedim – Defensive lineman

Along with a few big plays in the secondary, the Cyclones will also have to rely on their defensive line to make the first stop against the Jayhawks’ run-heavy offense. Onyedim has played solid through his redshirt sophomore season as he has been one of the interchangeable defensive linemen that the Cyclones cycle in and out.

The difference between Onyedim and guys like J.R. Singleton and Domonique Orange has been his consistency in making an impact with his playing time. He has had three or more tackles in four of the Cyclones’ five conference games, including a sack against the Bears on Saturday.

Onyedim has stepped up as an underclassman for the Cyclone defense that has held conference opponents to 131 rushing yards per game and will face one of its toughest challenges yet against Kansas, who has averaged 211.8 yards on the ground against Big 12 opponents.

Kansas:

Jason Bean/Jalon Daniels – Quarterback

While it is not set in stone who will be starting as the offensive signal caller for the Jayhawks, most signs point to Bean remaining the starter for the injured Daniels. Regardless of who will start, both veteran quarterbacks offer a similar play style that has been successful this season and has helped Kansas earn its 6-2 record.

Bean has started the last four games for the Jayhawks, leading them to a 2-2 record with 855 passing yards, seven passing touchdowns and four interceptions. Most of those stats came from his performance on the road against Oklahoma State where he threw for over 400 passing yards and five passing touchdowns and the Jayhawks ended up losing 39-32.

Where Bean has shined throughout his six-year collegiate career is his escapability and talents in the run game, which have played a role in Kansas dominating in the run game. He has averaged an even five yards per carry on 31 attempts this season and offers another set of legs that the Cyclone defense will have to worry about Saturday.

Daniel Hishaw Jr. – Runningback

Although Devin Neal has received the majority of carries in the Jayhawk backfield, Hishaw has made the most of his opportunities during his redshirt sophomore season. He has averaged 5.7 yards per carry against conference opponents, including a pair of games when he averaged over seven yards per carry. 

Along with his consistency in his opportunities, Hishaw has also punched in a handful of scores with five rushing touchdowns in his last four games. Hishaw hasn’t been the feature back for Kansas this season, which likely will stay the same against the Cyclones, but that doesn’t mean he’s not someone to worry about, as his production in the Jayhawks’ run-heavy offense has stayed consistent. 

Austin Booker – Defensive lineman 

The Iowa State run game has seen its fair share of low points throughout the season, and if Booker gets going early on, that aspect of the Cyclone offense could be shut down quickly. Booker is another redshirt sophomore who has taken a huge jump, which has allowed the Kansas defense to step up in close games.

Booker currently leads the conference in sacks against Big 12 opponents with four, including one in the Jayhawks upset win over Oklahoma. He also leads the defensive line group in total tackles (37), including 27 solo warp-ups. Booker has also played a part in a Kansas defense that has forced 10 fumbles through eight games, with Booker forcing one in the Jayhawks win over UCF.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500