Weingarten: An endorsement for a ceasefire in Israel

Opinion+Editor+Caleb+Weingarten+explains+how+a+new+report+in+The+New+York+Times+represents+a+turning+point+in+the+Israel-Hamas+conflict.+
Taylor Brandon on Unsplash
Opinion Editor Caleb Weingarten explains how a new report in The New York Times represents a turning point in the Israel-Hamas conflict.

This article is intended to support a resolution that calls for a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. This term has been thrown around in various discussions, even on the international level. However, there is nothing to show for it.

Many believe a ceasefire grants Hamas a victory and therefore emboldens them to further attack and brutalize Israel. However, over the walls of Gaza, there is no victory to be had. The scale of Palestinian suffering is too large.

So, then, why a ceasefire? The word itself reveals the obvious definition: to cease firing. It is important for Israel to do so. Their actions, especially in the past few days, will eventually push support away from them—and given this fact, the implications of such an exodus of support should be considered.

It is apparent, however, that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has no intention of halting his around-the-clock bombardment of Gaza. He has clearly stated, “Nothing will stop us.”

In actual cases of self-defense, this rhetoric would be justifiable. However, abiding by international law, which prohibits collective punishment, collectively punishing an entire population in Gaza is not only illegal, but immoral.

What are such examples of this? Look at the recent devastation that unfolded after Israel bombed Jabalia refugee camp Tuesday. To make matters worse, Israel followed with another bombing of Jabalia on Wednesday. 

After the bombing, in an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, an Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman claimed responsibility for the bombings and advanced the notion that civilian loss was just a “tragedy of war.” Additionally, the spokesman claims that “civilians are not involved with Hamas.” 

So why the indiscriminate attacks? Well, Israel has a history of inflicting punishment as a form of collective “education” as Norman Finkelstein details in his book “Gaza: An Inquest into its Martyrdom.”  

At a risk of exhausting the point, knowingly bombing areas where large amounts of civilians are present is against international law. The link I included explains this point and illustrates the difference between how the international community treated Russia versus Israel. If there is to be a legitimate military purpose for bombing such a place, this does not give the green light to do so. 

Referenced in the article, professor Katharine Fortin explains that “the military must consider whether the damage and loss incurred by civilians in such attacks are excessive compared to the concrete and direct military advantage.” 

In the case of the Jabalia bombing, Israel claimed it killed a military commander. Why two bombings then? If this wasn’t shocking enough, Israel commenced a separate attack on Bureij refugee camp, reducing it to mere rubble filled with innocent bodies of Palestinian civilians. 

The disasters in Gaza come as tensions in the West Bank rise (where Hamas does not govern). Israeli settlers have terrorized Palestinians, such as Bilal Mohammad Saleh, who was killed while harvesting olives. Other posts that are circulating on apps like Telegram show Palestinians being kidnapped and tortured. These actions are not condemned by the Israeli government, and it would appear that many of them support it. For example, Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir ordered “10,000 rifles to arm Israeli civilians, including settlers, after Hamas’ attack.” 

Some even fear “a new Nakba” is on the horizon.

Israel has not remained committed to its Jewish people as it so often likes to claim. Video shows Israeli police beating a Jewish man and supposed anti-Zionist for no apparent reason. I also want to include an excerpt from the Times of Israel that expresses how the Israeli army feels about the hostages that Hamas holds captive in Gaza. The excerpt says:

The army is concerned that further hostage releases by Hamas could lead the political leadership to delay a ground incursion or even halt it midway. Still, the IDF believes that an offensive may actually pressure Hamas to release further hostages.”

If Israel claims to be acting in good faith, shouldn’t Hamas releasing hostages and thereby delaying the ground invasion be a good thing? It would also weaken the odds of heavy damage on all sides of the conflict. It raises the question of what this “ground incursion” really entails. 

As this aggressive bombardment on Gaza continues, the actors in the international community are forced to make important decisions. Right now, releasing the tight grip on Gaza would serve Israel’s (and the United States’) interests well. 

Additionally, supporting a ceasefire would allow the dust to settle and for diplomacy to work, hopefully resulting in freed Israeli hostages and a reduction in Palestinian deaths. However, the course of war seems to be the preferred route by most of Israel’s supporters. What is occurring now in Israel, before our very eyes, is a violation of Palestinian human rights and a complete rejection of even the most basic moral standard. It shows no regard for Israeli hostages who are dispersed throughout the Gaza Strip and even less of a regard for innocent Palestinians. 

If, as a society, we claim to have any moral conscience, a ceasefire is necessary. 

Peace be with you all.

View Comments (8)
$2700
$2500