Three Big Takeaways: Iowa State’s sharp new offense extinguishes Phoenix

Tyler Coe
Keshon Gilbert attacks the rim against Green Bay during the season opener at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 6, 2023.

AMES — Cyclones start strong offensively with big shots from new squad members and take control early in an 85-44 win over Green Bay to start their season at home.

Iowa State’s newly equipped team showed promise in its first contest at home against the Phoenix, put them on the ropes early and continued its high-flying night on offense into the second half.

“[It] felt like our guys came out with the energy that we love to have. That first group did a great job of building the lead, coming out very aggressively and playing for one another,” head coach T.J. Otzelberger said.

The Cyclones had four players finish with double-digits in the scoring department in the team’s commanding win to start the season.

Here are the three big takeaways from Iowa State’s season-opening win over Green Bay.

Hot shooting and inside pressure drive offense

Iowa State had the hot hands during the first 20 minutes of the matchup and found multiple ways to put up shots against Green Bays’ loose defense. A pair of newcomers to the Cyclone squad, Milan Momcilovic and Keshon Gilbert, each found their own ways to make an impact in their debuts in front of the Hilton crowd.

For Momcilovic, it looked like he couldn’t miss behind the arch in the first half as he started 4-for-4 through the first 14 minutes. Whether it was off the dribble or on a catch-and-shoot, he was finding his way from deep against the Phoenix and finished the first half with 15 points off of five threes, including one off a last-second shot on a pick-and-pop.

The Wisconsin native was a player the Cyclones’ offense focused on right from the jump, with his first 3-point connection coming off an offensive rebound from Tamin Lipsey 30 seconds into the first half.

“It meant a lot because my confidence was high, so then obviously I’m just going to keep hunting my shot. Knocking down that first shot was big,” Momcilovic said.

Momcilovic added another three in the second half and finished his debut with 18 points on 6-for-7 shooting from three-point territory.

Gilbert established himself as a slippery guard for Iowa State who not only can set up shots but also is not afraid to put his body on the line when driving into the paint. He constantly drove into the lane with bigger bodies draped over him and successfully found his way to the basket throughout the night.

The UNLV transfer ended the night with 17 points on 6-for-13 shooting and four fouls drawn due to his efforts driving into the paint.

“T.J. [Otzelberger] just tells me to get into the paint and make plays really,” Gilbert said. “It ain’t no science to it. It’s just getting in the paint and trying to make a play for my teammates and for myself.”

Trio of veterans provide support on offense

Along with the promising performances from the two new Cyclones, the veterans of the team also contributed to Iowa State’s offensive showcase. Lipsey and forwards Tre King and Robert Jones combined for 33 points, with King leading the way with 13.

During the offseason, Otzelberger and his players praised Lipsey for his growth in his jump shot, which was on full display against the Phoenix. He was perfect from 3-point land, finishing 2-for-2, and he finished the night 4-for-8 from the field.

“Part of it is now we have guys that can drive it and kick it to him so he can get his feet set as you saw in both makes tonight,” Otzelberger said.

In what is set to be his first full season with the Cyclones, King started out struggling with shots around the rim in the first half but settled into a rhythm as the game went on and finished with 13 points on 5-for-9 shooting.

Jones provided a solid presence off the bench for the Cyclones and was perfect from the field on his four attempts, and he finished the night with eight points. He carried his physical presence in the paint over from last season, drawing three fouls, but he failed to connect on each of his three free throw attempts.

Cyclones’ defense stays true

Despite the number of new faces that have joined the team, Otzelbergers’ trusty defense has carried over, and if the first game is any indication for the rest of the season, the Cyclones are destined for another season of being one of the top defenses in the nation.

Iowa State compiled 44 rebounds compared to Green Bays’ 29 with both King and Lipsey accounting for eight each. The Cyclones gave themselves multiple opportunities on a handful of possessions thanks to their height advantage and finished with 15 offensive boards, with King leading the way with four.

“I felt like [King] was very intentional about his effort on the glass,” Otzelberger said. “When he is leading us in rebounding and being persistent on the boards, the points will come to him. He has a natural scoring ability. It was great to see Rob [Jones] have a productive second half on the glass.”

Another factor that the team carried over defensively from last season was winning the turnover margin, which they jumped on in the first half by forcing 11. The Cyclones forced five more in the second half due to their constant swiping at the ball and finished the game with 10 steals.

Iowa State’s peskiness on defense was a factor in its success on offense as they scored 27 points off of turnovers.