Iowa State ready for late road game challenge against BYU

Matteo Bender
Daniel Jackson after catching a contested pass during the Iowa State vs. Kansas match, Jack Trice Stadium, Nov. 4, 2023.

After a disappointing homecoming loss to Kansas, the Cyclones are still looking for their sixth win of the season and a bowl game as they hit the road to take on BYU.

Although the Cyclones were favored in their home matchup against Kansas, they could not overcome a slow start and fell 28-21. The Cyclones are sitting at 5-4 with just three games left to qualify for a bowl game.

In order to get that sixth win, Iowa State is ready to play a complete football game against BYU.

“Starting faster than we did this past Saturday is gonna be critical to having success, especially when you’re on the road,” Iowa State offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase said.

BYU is a team that has had its ups and downs throughout the season. The Cougars also sit at 5-4, but only have two wins in conference play.

BYU’s last outing saw the team fall to West Virginia 37-7. Injuries plagued the team in the matchup, as backup quarterback Jake Retzlaff took his first snaps as a starter.

Kedon Slovis is the normal man behind center, but he has been dealing with injuries to his throwing arm. Slovis is still questionable to play against the Cyclones, and the team is preparing for whoever ends up being the main signal caller.

“The one thing that both of them have the ability to do: they’ve got the ability to get the ball to their elite skill playmakers,” Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell said.

Campbell mentioned the skill position players and what they bring to BYU’s offense. They have elite speed on the edge and have size that can be scary to deal with on defense.

Along with the skill players being solid, both BYU quarterbacks have good enough arms to dish out opportunities all over the field.

“Both great athletes, great arms, so we’re prepping for both,” linebacker Gerry Vaughn said.

Despite the potential on BYU’s offense, the team sits at the bottom of the Big 12 in total offense. However, Iowa State sits just above the Cougars in the same stat.

With both teams looking for good showings, the deciding factor may end up being the atmosphere around the game. Iowa State is 4-0 against BYU, but the Cyclones have not taken on the Cougars in nearly 50 years.

With BYU building up a formidable program over the last 30 years, and most recently in the last decade, the Cougars will look like an entirely new team to the Cyclones. It has also been 50 years since the Cyclones traveled to Provo, Utah.

“I’ll be honest with you, I think we’re all just really honored and excited to be able to go play at this venue and against this opponent,” Campbell said.

Along with the rich history of both programs, the kickoff time also presents a unique threat. Playing at night has favored Iowa State in the past, but with recent hiccups in night games and BYU’s success at night, the game will be a challenge.

The game is set for 9:15 p.m. kickoff in central time, which will be after 8 p.m. when the Cyclones take the field at Utah. Despite the late game, Campbell is sure his players are up for the challenge.

“If I go back to 18 to 22 years old, by the time eight o’clock, nine o’clock came on, it’s kinda prime time,” Campbell said. “I feel like kids enjoy playing night games.”

The Cyclones will have to be in top form for the night game, as BYU has been dominant when the sun goes down.

Since 2019, BYU is 26-4 in night games. The Cougars have also been perfect since 2019 in games that are especially late, when kickoff times are around the 8 p.m. mark.

“It’s gonna be a great challenge,” Malik Verdon said. “They haven’t lost in a while being home at night, so it’s going to be exciting.”

Playing in Provo, Utah, presents even more of a problem for the Cyclones. So far through nine games, BYU has not lost once at home.

The Cougars also picked up both of their Big 12 wins at home. Iowa State will have to be on its game Saturday to secure a bowl game.

“A lot of respect for what this program’s about. We know we’ll get their best shot. It’s how they play the game,” Campbell said. “It’s gonna be a great opportunity but a great challenge.”

The Cyclones are set to face off against BYU at 9:15 p.m. Saturday at Provo, Utah. The game will be aired live on ESPN.