Six tech falls lead the charge in Iowa State’s shutout over Davidson

Lee Chinyama
Yonger Bastida at the ISU vs. OSU wrestling meet on Jan. 29.

AMES — The Cyclones cruised to a big win over Davidson in the first duel at Hilton Coliseum.

The duel started off with four consecutive tech falls by the Cyclones, starting with Kysen Terukina (125) and then followed by Evan Frost (133), Jacob Frost (141) and Anthony Echemendia (149).

At 157 lbs there was a small break in tech falls when Cody Chittum defeated his opponent by major decision by a score of 13-3.

Sunday night was Chittum’s first match as a Cyclone and his first folkstyle match for over a year.

“There are some things that he wants to clean up. He probably learned how folkstyle refereeing works a little,” head coach Kevin Dresser said about Chittum’s debut.

Four-time Big 12 Champion David Carr (165) restarted the trend of tech falls, ending his match early in the second period by a score of 17-2.

Carr was in the unique position of having his older brother coaching his opponent.

Nate Carr Jr., who is a former Cyclone wrestler, is the current head coach of Davidson. Carr Jr. is not the only former Cyclone on Davidson’s staff, as two-time all-American Marcus Coleman is an assistant coach for the team.

“Those guys have a lot of history together. Obviously David and Marcus are really close, and David and Nate, you can’t get any closer than that—that’s blood,” Dresser said on the return of the former Cyclones.

Following Carrs’ match, MJ Gaitan (174) picked up the Cyclones’ first pin of the night, defeating his opponent in the early moments of the second period.

Caleb Helgeson (184) would follow up the pin with a major decision, winning the match 17-4. Following Helgeson was Julien Broderson (197) who picked up the Cyclones’ second pin of the night a mere 45 seconds into his match.

Yonger Bastida (285) seems to be adjusting well to the move up in weight class, dominating his opponent on the way to a 19-4 tech fall in the final match of the night. His tech fall was the Cyclones’ sixth of the night.

The Cyclones return to action at 2 p.m. Nov. 19, when they will take on Wisconsin in Humboldt, Iowa.