Shahan: “I have no enemies”

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

I am an avid enjoyer of anime. I love cartoons, fiction and media where real-world problems can be presented under clearer conditions created by the artist. One such anime I have grown to love is “Vinland Saga.” 

For those of you who are unfamiliar with “Vinland Saga,” it can be found on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll and other streaming services. I will not spoil it too much. Specifically, this article is about the phrase “I have no enemies” from the anime/manga. It is first said by Thorfinn’s father, Thors. Thorfinn is unaware of what his father meant by this and eventually even forgets the quote completely. Later, despite indoctrination and war, Thorfinn remembers what his father told him and strives to learn the meaning behind it. 

I find the quote, “I have no enemies,” beautiful. I wish to live with this motto in mind and hope to bring awareness of this philosophy to others. Seeing people as humans first and not as enemies can bring great change. Instead of believing people you disagree with are enemies, you can learn why they have that position and what led them there in the first place. Now, I do not take “I have no enemies,” literally quite yet. Many people advocate for and commit severe atrocities. It is not my position to tell you who you should or should not consider an enemy. However, I would like you to have fewer “enemies.”

As Thorfinn learns in the anime, harm begets harm. To create a better world, it needs to start somewhere with change. I ask you to consider at least one “enemy” you have, such as a professor you dislike or a faceless person who advocates for things you disagree with. Imagine a reality where you are freed from the hate you have towards them, where your energy can be focused more on love, improving yourself and uplifting others. This is a reality where change and progress occur. The world is painful. Many people call for and produce harm. I do not condone or remain neutral to these things. Instead, I focus energy on fighting these positions or problems as opposed to fighting the individual person. The change to having no enemies helps shift us closer to a world with less suffering, at least on a small personal level. These small changes may make their way to larger changes in the world. 

Find places you agree with someone, work on goals you both share and understand why they believe what they believe. Ask yourself why you might feel hatred or disdain toward them. Understanding yourself and understanding others will bring about a better comprehension of the world and how to change it for the better.