Iowa State students pioneer new campus mental health resource

Kaia+Parker%2C+a+senior+in+public+relations%2C+tabling+for+the+wellness+pledge+at+Hamilton+Hall+on+Nov.+9%2C+2023.+
Ella Slade
Kaia Parker, a senior in public relations, tabling for the wellness pledge at Hamilton Hall on Nov. 9, 2023.

MIND SPACE is a place where students can take telehealth therapy appointments, attend mental health training or simply find a safe and calm space on campus.

“[We wanted to provide] a place to go if they didn’t have a place to begin with,” Kaia Parker, a senior in public relations, said.

MIND SPACE, a new student mental health resource, opened in Hamilton Hall in the fall ‘23 semester. MIND SPACE, which stands for Mental Independence and Nurturing Development and Solitary Place for Achieving Calm Emotions, is now open and available for use in Hamilton 0215.

Kaia Parker, a senior in public relations, helped to create MIND SPACE while enrolled in PR 424, Public Relations Campaigns. In class, Parker entered a competition called Invent to Prevent, leading her to become an executive member of the initiative.

“We wanted to create a space for people to just feel like a connected community,” Parker said. “[We wanted to provide] a place to go if they didn’t have a place to begin with.”

MIND SPACE offers students a private and safe space to take telehealth therapy appointments, attend virtual suicide prevention and mental health training or simply a place for students to feel calm and safe in between classes.

The space offers free snacks for students, along with coloring pages and fidget toys for students to keep their hands busy.

“Our goal is to abolish mental health stigma on campus,” Jessica Mouw, a senior in public relations, said. “Think about all the things the college experience is. It’s the first time you’re alone and trying to navigate life. And a lot of times it lacks privacy, whether that be through student living accommodations or if you’re on campus all day and don’t have a moment to take for yourself, it can be really overwhelming.”

Mouw said the intent behind designing MIND SPACE was to give students who lack privacy or are simply struggling with mental health a safe place to go.

“On our end, the important thing is that students know that they’re not alone and that these spaces are available for them,” Mouw said.

The space is fully designed to meet students where they are in their mental health journey, Parker said. If students are not fully prepared to accept help, they will always have a safe space to go to until they can reach that point.

More information regarding MIND SPACE is available on the website and Instagram.