What’s This?: “The Nightmare Before Christmas” celebrates its 30th anniversary

Courtesy of Fandango
Poster art for “The Nightmare Before Christmas” 30 year anniversary.

The 30th anniversary of “The Nightmare Before Christmas” was commemorated by theaters nationwide this October. The film’s original release date was Oct. 13, 1993. To celebrate the film, it was shown from Oct. 20th – 30th.

During its time playing in theaters this October, the film worked its way back into the box office, getting all the way up to fifth place and earning $4.1 million in one weekend. Though this number is highly impressive, it doesn’t compare to the film’s original release, which earned just over $50 million domestically. Through the film’s lifetime, its gross income has amounted to over $88.4 million. It’s no wonder why the film is continuously re-released and played in theaters, as audiences always deliver high attendance rates. 

Tim Burton is widely known for his creation of creepy films and his twists on pre-existing stories, making them dark and twisty. Burton has made around 19 films to date, each gaining popularity and large audiences. His most recent film, “Dumbo,” came out in 2019, and his most recent series, “Wednesday,” followed in 2022. Burton’s style in his creations tends to be creepy and dark, inspiring other creators to follow in his steps and produce works that reflect the same moods. His filmmaking has largely affected various other writers and directors, him being a role model for aspiring filmmakers.

New art inspired by the film has been created by Shepard Fairey’s Studio Number One in celebration of the anniversary. The new art is a poster for the film presenting the lead characters surrounded by blue and purple-toned art that reflects the mood of the film. These features highlight the film’s main ideas in its most prominent color scheme. In addition to the new poster, a new zoetrope vinyl has been added to the film’s merchandise which presents the film’s soundtrack. The art on the vinyl shows the main character’s defining moments and creates a mesmerizing zoetrope effect while the vinyl plays. This vinyl is available for purchase in local stores like Walmart and Target. 

The film features Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king in Halloween town, who decides he is bored of doing the same thing for Halloween each year. When he accidentally stumbles into Christmas town, he finds himself fascinated with the joyful atmosphere and wants to recreate it on his own. Regardless of Jack’s efforts, townsfolk find ways to hinder his plans. Between the film’s exciting soundtrack and its dark color pallet, it delivers a spooky mood for watchers. 

The “Nightmare Before Christmas” has a wonderful soundtrack that highlights each scene’s importance to the film. It’s best known for its songs “This is Halloween,” “What’s This” and “Oogie Boogie’s Song.” Though these songs may be the most memorable, the film wouldn’t be complete without the suspenseful and eerie music used to emphasize the scene’s moods. Created by Danny Elfman, the film’s soundtrack works to bring forward the dark aura behind townsfolk and scare viewers. 

By celebrating the film’s 30th anniversary, people all around the world recognize not only the film’s importance to filmmaking but Tim Burton’s as well. The Nightmare Before Christmas continues to be a film that many look forward to viewing each fall for its spooky yet intriguing mood.