Iowa State to play Hawaii in first round of NCAA volleyball tournament

Maeley Rosengren
Maya Duckworth celebrates with teammates at the Iowa State vs. Kansas volleyball game, Hilton Coliseum, Nov. 10, 2023.

Following a 20-9 season, Iowa State will play in the 2023 NCAA volleyball tournament as a No. 7 seed. The Cyclones finished 11-7 in the Big 12 and ended on a three-game winning streak.

Wins over No. 21 Houston, UCF and Cincinnati helped the Cyclones finish the season strong and make a statement heading into the tournament.

Iowa State won in five sets on the road against Houston, swept UCF and won in a reverse sweep against Cincinnati on senior night.

Last season in the NCAA tournament, Iowa State defeated Florida Gulf Coast in round one and lost to Florida in the second round.

Iowa State’s opening-round opponent will be the Big West champions, Hawaii. The Rainbow Wahine went 14-4 in the Big West and finished 23-8 overall.

The winner between Iowa State and Hawaii will await the winner of No. 2 seed Oregon vs. Southeastern Louisiana. Hawaii was swept by Oregon in the regular season.

The match against Hawaii is scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday in Eugene, Oregon, and can be streamed live on ESPN+.