Books to read to relax during finals season

Courtesy of Goodreads
“Daisy Jones & The Six,” published in 2019, was recently adapted into an Amazon Prime original that premiered on March 3.

This final exam season, sit down, grab a comfortable blanket and crack open a good book in order to relax before or after your tests. Here are some selections that include a music-themed book, a new release, a dystopian series and a psychological thriller.

“Daisy Jones & The Six” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

“Daisy Jones & The Six” is an amazing read. The book by author Taylor Jenkins Reid follows the story of the band The Six, soon to feature singer Daisy Jones. The story is multi-perspective and is written through all of the eyes of the band members. This book feels like listening to “Rumors” by Fleetwood Mac. Not only is it an experience to read, but it is also an experience to watch on screen since “Daisy Jones & The Six” hit the screen March 3. The TV show and the book both got rave reviews. The series on Amazon Prime Video is a near-perfect adaptation of the book. “Daisy Jones & The Six” has a 4.22 rating on Goodreads and is one of many of Reid’s books, such as “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” and “Malibu Rising.” The experience of reading the book is short despite the book being 355 pages long.

“Wildfire” by Hannah Grace

“Wildfire” by Hannah Grace is a new release that hit the book community Oct. 3 and was well received. Grace originally hit the scene with her popular book “Icebreaker” which was released Nov. 22, 2022. “Wildfire” is a standalone sequel to “Icebreaker” and follows one of the fellow hockey team members. In this story you meet Russ and Aurora and follow their story from school all the way to their summer counseling job at Honey Acres. This adorable rom-com will have you smiling the entire time. Grace captures feet-kicking love perfectly in her books. “Wildfire” has a 3.95 Goodreads rating, is 400 pages long and is such an easy and enjoyable read.

“The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins 

“The Hunger Games” written by Suzanne Collins is a dystopian classic published in 2008. Five blockbuster movies have followed the trilogy. “The Hunger Games” follows Katniss and her partnership with Peeta throughout their battle in “The Hunger Games.” This book is a good read filled with action and romance as well as tear-jerking moments. “The Hunger Games” gives you the thrill of a classic dystopian novel while feeding into your emotions, making it a compelling read. This is a perfect book to read after seeing “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” which hit theaters Nov. 17. “The Hunger Games” has a Goodreads rating of 4.33. The book is 374 pages and is a quick read for those who love dystopian fiction.

“We Were Liars” by E. Lockhart

“We Were Liars” is a well-written young adult psychological thriller by E. Lockhart. The book follows the assumed picture-perfect Sinclair family and their annual summer vacations on their East Coast island homes. Though set in summer, “We Were Liars” is a chilling read to curl up with. The abnormal story slowly starts to unfold as you read further into the book. Though it may start slow, the book picks up speed quickly. When you pick up “We Were Liars,” be ready for many twists and turns. The novel has a 3.68 rating on Goodreads. The book is 242 pages of twisted and unhealthy secrets and lies.