Gilbert earns Newcomer of the Week after highlight heavy week

Josue Aleman
Keshon Gilbert dribbles down-court during the Iowa State vs. Prairie View A&M men’s basketball Game, Hilton Coliseum, Dec. 10, 2023.

Following his third straight 20-point performance, and fourth of the season, junior guard Keshon Gilbert was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week Monday.

The UNLV transfer picked up his first weekly award as a member of the Cyclones largely due to his 20-point outings in Iowa State’s pair of wins last week. He is the first Cyclone to tally three straight 20-point games since Izaiah Brockington in February of 2021.

The St. Louis native matched his career-high of 25 points against Iowa on Thursday, highlighted by a perfect shooting night from deep.

Throughout the Cyclones’ first 10 games of the season, Gilbert has been a contributor on both sides of the ball. He has found his teammates more often with his tight-window passes, and has six or more assists in his last three games.

Defensively, he has pressured opposing players and has averaged 1.9 steals per game. Just like his backcourt mate Tamin Lipsey, Gilbert has also been a workhorse off of the glass with 4.7 rebounds per game.

Gilbert has been a focal point of the Cyclones’ newly established offense, headlined by his constant efforts to move the ball into the paint. His combination of shifty moves from outside and willingness to take contact inside was on full display in Iowa State’s wins last week against the in-state rival Hawkeyes and most recently against Prairie View A&M.