Young Cyclones focus on Troy following end of finals week

Tyler Coe
Addy Brown runs the Iowa State offense against North Dakota State at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 10, 2023.

As the non-conference season nears an end for the Iowa State women’s basketball team, the Cyclones prepare to host Troy at Hilton Coliseum Sunday.

This game will mark the first game Iowa State has played since the previous Sunday, in which it handled business against North Dakota State.

Forward Addy Brown has consistently been a key asset to Iowa State’s recent success, as she is riding a three-game double-double streak. But with her first-ever collegiate finals week concluding, Brown had to change her focus from basketball to academics during the stressful times.

“I think it was stressful for sure, just to get through finals, but we made it,” Brown said. “We’re finally free now and get to focus on basketball for about a month which is awesome.”

The Cyclones currently hold five freshmen on the team, one of which being Brown, so getting this opportunity to battle yet another tough task could bring them future success down the road.

Head coach Bill Fennelly realized the majority of his team was experiencing something new when taking final exams in college for the first time, so helping them stay focused on taking down North Dakota State before the stressful week kicked off was crucial.

“Leading up to the North Dakota State game, it was school, basketball and no number three,” Fennelly said. “Every one of our kids, with the exception of [Nyamer Diew], is at this level this is the first time they are doing it.”

With the week of finals coming to an end, every student has been waiting for the moment they can go home to see their families during this month-long break, but Fennelly and the Cyclones will have to wait a little longer before having that opportunity.

“Starting Sunday through the Northern Iowa game, they have final exams and are ready to go home, but you gotta look around,” Fennelly said. “The challenge is that you still have two more games to play before you get to go home for Christmas. With a month off of school, there’s no reason not to do the things that can make you a better player.”

With the team going through these stressful times, it helps to know that there can be a leader on the team who can give some extra motivation during these times.

The team has viewed forward Nyamer Diew as a leader, with her experience at the collegiate level, but it left some wondering about what exact role she would play coming into the year.

“It was definitely about just finding my role. I feel like other people who are leaders on other teams that are high scorers among other things, but my role has definitely, on the court, been on the defensive end,” Diew said.

With Diew’s role evolving into one being on the defensive side of the court, it helps to have someone as experienced as Diew to coach up the younger players.

“We don’t have a lot of experience with people who have defended at this level, so my role has definitely been helping out those younger people on their defense,” Diew said.

Now, Iowa State gets to focus on its next opponent in Troy, who has not found much success on their season, as shown by a 1-6 record, with the only win coming against UT Martin.

The Cyclones will take on the Trojans at noon Sunday at Hilton Coliseum. The game will also be streamed on ESPN+.