Iowa State set to host Cyclone Open, New Balance Collegiate Showdown

Tyler Coe
Cebastian Gentil (left) and Darius Kipyego (right) walk off the track at Lied Recreational Center in the ISU Holiday Invitational on Dec. 10, 2022.

The Cyclone track and field teams are getting ready to stay home over the weekend as they host the Cyclone Open on Friday.

The one-day event will be action-packed, starting at 11 a.m. Friday with the men’s pole vault and going until 6 p.m. with the men’s 4×400-meter dash.

The Cyclones will be looking to carry the momentum they found in Iowa City, Iowa, at the Hawkeye Invitational into this weekend’s meet.

Starting things off, the throwers, four of whom placed in the top 10 for men’s, will be in action. The men will have to try to replace Cam Jones, who will compete at the New Balance Collegiate Showdown on Saturday in Boston. On the women’s side, Kaitlyn Burson opened her season with the second-best throw in Iowa State history to snatch second place at the Hawkeye Invitational.

On the track side, Makayla Clark and Silas Winders will look to build off personal bests which they both set last week.

The Cyclone Open will feature teams all around Iowa and the Midwest with one of the biggest names in track and field and a team Iowa State is familiar with: Drake. The Bulldogs came to Ames in December to compete in the ISU Holiday Invitational. Drake had an excellent showing in that meet, winning only one event but placing top-two and three in a handful of other events.

The Cyclone Open will start at 11 a.m. Friday at Lied Recreation Athletic Center in Ames. Live results can be found here.