All around success for Iowa State in Cyclone Open

Sam Petri
Iowa State shot-putter Blake Veenstra lines up to throw for 17.29m at the Cyclone Open track and field event in Leid Recreational center on Jan. 19, 2024.

Iowa State wrapped up the Cyclone Open on Friday in Ames, where they competed against teams all over the state and a couple of teams throughout the Midwest.

Here are the three big takeaways from the Cyclone Open, which saw many Iowa State throwers and runners finish first in their respective events.

Throwers shine again

Now a couple of meets into the season the Cyclone throwers look to be a strong piece to this team. The men and the women throwers showed why that is true again.

On the men’s side not having Cam Jones hurt the team, as he was in Boston at the New Balance Collegiate Showdown but other throwers stepped up. In the weight throw, Daniel Norris placed third with a throw of 20.43 meters. In the men’s shot put, the Cyclones placed in the top three, highlighted by a throw from Kevin Sakson, who placed first with a 18.39 meters toss. Blake Veenstra placed second with a throw of 17.29 meters and Norris placed third with a throw of 15.72 meters.

On the women’s side, the shot put was dominant, as Iowa State brought home the top two finishers. Betty Rosvold (14.50 meters) placed first and Ella O’Neall (14.41 meters) took home second.

Sixty meter hurdles are a strong point

Just like in the field events, the runners were not to be outdone. The men’s and women’s 60-meter hurdles both took home the top two places.

For the men, Jack Latham took home first place finish with a time of 7.90 seconds. Not far behind him was teammate Alec Carr with a time of 7.94 seconds.

For the women, Sydney Willits placed first with a time of 8.63 seconds followed by Kiersten Fisher, who placed second with a time of 8.71 seconds.

Men’s 1000m places top four

For as good overall as the Cyclones were on Friday, arguably their most impressive event was the men’s 1000m race. The Cyclones did not just win the event but had the top four finishers in the race.

Junior Darius Kipyego won the event with a time of 2:18.53. Behind him was senior Peter Smith (2:23.14) followed by sophomore Emanuel Galdino (2:23.15) and rounding out the top four was senior Tyler Carreon (2:25.34).

The Cyclones will look to carry the success and momentum they found Friday into their next meet.

Iowa State is back in action Jan. 26 and Jan. 27 in the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.