“Sexist and belittling”: Jo Koy’s hosting performance at Golden Globes

Getty Images

The 2024 Golden Globes was the 81st year for the annual award show. With the attendance of many great fashion looks and popular stars, there was a lot of coverage for the show.

One main focus of the public post-award show was the show’s host, Jo Koy, whose opening monologue flopped and was then berated by viewers and the media.

The Golden Globes is an annual award show that is held each year to celebrate the shows and films from the year leading up to it. Not only do the awards celebrate the media, but they also celebrate different actors and directors involved in these projects.

Each winner for the different categories receives a small golden statuette/trophy. This year, there were 27 categories in which actors and directors could win awards.

Each year, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has to choose who wins each award but also has to choose the perfect host for the show.

Koy, the host of this year’s award show, is a stand-up comedian who has appeared in several films, including his own live specials.

Though he has made a name for himself in the media world, many viewers of the Golden Globes had a few choice words about the comedian regarding his insensitive jokes from the night. The media has called his jokes from the show offensive, sexist and belittling.

What might be his most famous quote from the night is as follows: “Oppenheimer is based on a 721-page Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the Manhattan Project, and Barbie is on a plastic doll with big boobies.”

Not only is this insensitive, but it completely disregards the entire issue of the film, and Koy’s description proves why the movie needed to be made.

Many of Koy’s other jokes were not received any better. He made a comment about Taylor Swift and her attendance at her boyfriend’s, Travis Kelce, NFL games.

Koy mentions that the difference between the Golden Globes and the NFL is that there are fewer camera shots of Taylor Swift at the award show than there are at the Chief’s football games.

As the camera shows Swift in the audience, all viewers can observe the unimpressed look on her face in reaction to the joke.

When Koy was asked about these jokes moments after the show, he claimed it was just an off night for him and that some of his jokes were taken in the wrong light as they “came out wrong.” Regardless, many viewers are upset with his performance and hold strong opinions about him since the night of the show.

Considering Koy’s two headlining jokes revolved around women’s achievements and success this year, it is no surprise media users are as vocal about the situation as they are.

Noting how he made a few mistakes that night, Koy blames his monologue on the limited amount of time he and his writers had to create it, only meeting once. He later told GMA that he would love to host again and that he had fun.

Following Jo Koy’s hosting at the 2024 Golden Globes, viewers are left upset and offended, taking to the internet to express their hurt.

Koy’s response proves he knows how poorly his jokes landed and that, given more time, he had have had a better monologue.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500