Iowa State seeking sweep, Kansas seeking revenge

Tyler Coe
Audi Crooks shoots the ball close to the hoop against Kansas at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 3, 2023.

Following its first conference loss of the season to Texas Tech, Iowa State did not play Saturday due to injuries within the TCU team. A full-speed scrimmage and a meet-and-greet with the fans was what the Cyclones did in place of the game versus the Horned Frogs.

The loss to Texas Tech snapped an eight-game winning streak for Iowa State. Now with a 6-1 conference record, the Cyclones are trying to move past the loss and focus on the next game.

“Even if we do lose, we’re trying to find ways that we can take positives out of it, just kind of reflecting on that and moving past it and moving forward and trying to be better because of it,” senior Emily Ryan said.

What lies ahead is a trip to Lawrence, Kansas, in a rematch with Kansas. The last time the two faced off, Iowa State won by eight in its first home conference game.

Now, Kansas will have its turn to host and is looking to avoid being swept. Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly talked about how the Jayhawks’ record is deceiving, considering the opponents they have faced both in conference and non-conference games.

“I know Kansas’ record isn’t great, but we know how good they are. They’ve played a monster schedule early, and I think their schedule is starting to turn a little more in their favor,” Fennelly said.

Kansas enters with a 9-9 record and is 2-5 in conference play. The Jayhawks lost their last two games to then-No. 11 Texas and then-No. 7 Kansas State.

Given that both teams will try to prevent extending a losing streak, the challenge for the Cyclones will lie within the ‘Phog’. In home games, Kansas is 7-1, while Iowa State is 3-2 on the road, which could be the difference.

“I know they’ve had a couple losses recently, so they’re going to be ready to defend their home court, much as we would Hilton,” freshman Audi Crooks said.

In the last game against Kansas, the Cyclones found success from 3-pointers and free throws. Iowa State shot 50% from three, including six from senior Hannah Belanger, and shot twice as many free throws as Kansas.

Finding success in those areas again might be the key for the Cyclones come game time. Tip-off for Iowa State vs Kansas is set for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, and the game will be streamed on ESPN+.