College of Design Programs rank within top 25 nationally

Photo: Jen Hao Wong/Iowa State Daily

The atrium located in the Design building is open all the way up through five floors to the glass ceiling above. The Design building houses eleven different majors including graduate programs.

Annelise.Wells and Alexis.Myszka

Three programs within Iowa State’s College of Design have ranked within the top 25 in the nation in a recent survey done by DesignIntelligence.

Iowa State’s undergraduate architecture program ranked 23rd, the undergraduate interior design program ranked 18th and the undergraduate landscape architecture program ranked eighth, according to a press release.

Iowa State’s undergraduate landscape architecture program is ranked eighth in the nation for 2018-2019. This is three places higher than last years 11th place ranking.

Additionally, the graduate landscape architecture program ranked 21 out of 49 accredited master’s of landscape architecture programs in the U.S and Puerto Rico, according to a press release.

Iowa State’s architecture program ranked 23 in the nation. For 14 of the past 16 years, the program has been among the top 25, according to the press release.

Iowa State’s undergraduate interior design program ranked 18th. Lee Cagley, the chair of the interior design program said “to be ranked 18 out of 25 is really astonishing, it’s great.”

Cagley also said he was delighted to be ranked 18th and in the past only the top 10 have been released, but this year by reaching the top 25, Iowa State’s program can have it’s proper recognition.

“This years ranking has to do with our breadth and depth of our undergraduate programs that gather together in the College of Design,” Cagley said.

According to the press release, DesignIntelligence Quarterly “is a publication for leaders in design professions. The magazine’s annual report, “America’s Top-Ranked Architecture and Design Schools,” is the only national college ranking survey that focuses exclusively on design.”

The 19th survey was conducted in May and June of this year on behalf of the Design futures Council, according to the press release.

The survey “ranks programs from the perspective of leading practitioners who hire and supervise recent graduates in each of the design fields represented,” according to the press release.

The press release also state that the publication received responses from more than 6,100 professionals who were asked about the schools they most admire, the ones they hire from the most and how recent graduates are performing in 12 key focus areas.”

Correction: This article previously misspelled Lee Cagley’s name. The Daily regrets this error.