University Museums to host free exhibits this semester

Joseph Dicklin
Iowa State Ghost Trees located outside of Beardshear Hall Aug. 22, 2023.

During their everyday walk to and from class, most Iowa State students pass by a University Museums location. With three museums, a sculpture garden and their Art on Campus Collection, it would be hard not to interact with something that this department is responsible for on a daily basis.

“There are incredible art experiences just waiting to be discovered right here on campus – and those experiences are free and open to everyone,” stated Kelly Applegate, the associate director of development for University Museums.

We have included a list of upcoming events and exhibitions being hosted by University Museums below. A calendar with all of the University Museum’s upcoming events can be found here.

Christian Petersen Art Museum

Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Located at Morrill Hall, 603 Morrill Rd.

Jan. 17 to Dec. 20, “Sculpting an Icon, Christian Peterson and the Fountain of the Four Seasons”

Christian Petersen, a former artist-in-residence at Iowa State, is best known on campus for his work on the Fountain of the Four Seasons, which has been located at the entrance to the Memorial Union for 80 years. Currently, the fountain is undergoing a conservation process and will not reopen until Spring 2024. In the meantime, those who are interested in Petersen’s life and inspirations can attend this exhibition. More information can be found here.

Jan. 17 to July 26, “Christian Petersen: A Sense of Place in Campus Life”

This exhibition will focus on the rest of Petersen’s artwork around the Iowa State campus. 

“While many of Petersen’s sculptures are place-specific around campus, this exhibition will rely on sketches, models and concept drawings from the vast collections housed at the University Museums to figuratively bring these works of art into the Campbell Gallery at the Christian Petersen Art Museum,” stated Jerome Thompson, guest curator. More information can be found here.

Brunnier Art Museum

Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 1-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Located at Scheman Building, 1805 Center Dr.

Jan. 17 to May 10, “The Art of Elizabeth Catlett from the Collection of Samella Lewis”

Elizabeth Catlett was a prominent African-American sculptor and graphic artist. She is best known for her depictions of Black women and motherhood. According to the University Museums’ website, “She… challenged stereotypical notions of Black family life, by depicting loving mothers and fathers, and always representing the strength of Black women through tenderly rendered portraits and compelling abstract sculptures.” More information can be found here.

Jan. 17 to July 26, “Small Pleasures: Tiny Art from the Permanent Collection”

The University Museums’ permanent collection houses a wide variety of miniature art from all over the world. In this exhibition, they will be displaying many of these pieces, including a small Roman bronze of Hercules and a miniature painting of a cloud. More information can be found here.

Jan. 17 to Dec. 20, “Rookwood: America’s Contribution to the Fine Arts”

This exhibit will feature the work of Rookwood Pottery, which was known in the American Art Pottery movement for its fine craftsmanship and attention to detail. Even though these pieces were made over 100 years ago, they “continue to inspire art historians, artists and collectors,” according to University Museums. More information can be found here.

Farm House Museum

Hours: noon to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday

Located at 601 Farm House Ln.

February to October, “World’s Fairs, Expositions, and Centennial Celebrations of the Victorian Era”

In the Victorian age, world’s fairs were extremely popular. These events provided the public with the unique opportunity to learn more about different cultures, history and technology. As the popularity of these events grew, so did their scale, and hosting cities would often build entirely new buildings to house the festivities. This exhibit will showcase souvenirs from these events, including paper goods and ceramics. More information can be found here

February to July, “George Washington Carver, The Student & Artist”

“George Washington Carver, The Student & Artist” is part of three campus-wide exhibitions. It will feature several works of art from the collection of Carver’s advocate Etta May Budd, as well as pieces of artwork “that relate to the many individuals Carver noted in his letter of 1921.” More information on this exhibit and the other two can be found here.

In addition to these events, there are always different outdoor art installations at the Elizabeth and Byron Anderson Sculpture Garden, which is located at 603 Morrill Rd. The latest installation is “Ghost Trees,” which will remain up through June 2025.

Additionally, the Art on Campus Collection is made up of over 2,500 pieces of art across many buildings on campus. You can find a full map of where the artworks are located here.