Cyclones seek revenge in rematch against Old Dominion

Jacob Rice
Assistant Coach Yair Banuelos watches the Iowa State Tennis team warm up before a singles match against South Dakota, Lifetime Fitness, Urbandale, Iowa, Jan. 20, 2024.

For the second time in two weeks, Iowa State tennis will play host to Old Dominion and hope to make up for its previous matchup in which the Cyclones lost to the Monarchs.

Iowa State is looking to get back on track after getting swept in its last two matches against Old Dominion and No. 12 UCLA. The two straight losses bring the Cyclones down to .500 with an overall record of 2-2.

In the last matchup with Old Dominion on Jan. 27, the Cyclones fought an uphill battle and failed to field a third doubles or sixth singles match due to injuries. Iowa State ended up losing the match 4-0.

Although the Cyclones were swept in the last matchup, it was closer than the score says.

The first doubles slot of No. 56 Isabella Dunlap and Anna Supapitch Kuearum brought their opponents all the way to a tiebreaker, where they lost 7-4. The second doubles pair of Ashlee Narker and Valeska San Martin Ramirez, playing their second match together this season, won their set 6-4. Unable to field a third doubles pair, Old Dominion ultimately won two of the three matches, going up 1-0.

With nobody in the sixth singles spot for the Cyclones, the Monarchs were rewarded with a win and a 2-0 lead. Victories in the first and fifth singles spots sealed it for Old Dominion as they completed the sweep.

The second, third and fourth singles matches could have swung the tides had the Cyclones boasted a full team. Dunlap had a score of 4-6, 5-2, Narker of 6-4, 4-6 and Gala Arangio of 3-6, 5-2.

Lack of experience in college and playing for Iowa State could also have played a factor in the Cyclones’ previous match with Old Dominion.

Supapitch Kuearum is the only returning member of Iowa State. With three freshmen, two transfers and a new coaching staff, this group of Cyclones looks almost completely different than the team that reached the NCAA quarterfinals a year ago.

Despite the new faces in Ames, senior Dunlap is familiar with head coach Jaron Maestas, whom she played three seasons under at Central Oklahoma. Dunlap earned four All-American honors during her tenure there and eventually earned her fifth playing at the University of Indianapolis.

Heading into their second matchup of the season, a Cyclone team at full strength will be key to a different result than the Jan. 27 match.

The Cyclones and Monarchs face off once again at 10 a.m. Friday at the Life Time Fitness in Urbandale, Iowa.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500