Cyclone gymnastics heads to Big 12 competition in West Virginia

Tyler Coe
Noelle Adams flys through the air in the season opening meet against Nebraska at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 5, 2023.

The Cyclones will travel to Morgantown, West Virginia, for their second tri-meet in two weeks and will face Big 12 rivals in West Virginia and No. 7 Denver at the West Virginia Tri-Meet.

This will be the second match-up between the Cyclones and the Pioneers, following a loss to Denver the week prior at the Denver Tri-Meet.

Iowa State enters ranked at No. 24, two spots lower than the week before the Denver Tri-Meet, while Denver moved up two spots from No. 9. The match-ups Sunday will be the third and fourth Big 12 meetings of the season for Iowa State, where it sits at a 1-1 record. The team also holds an 0-3 record on the road, with the only success on the road coming against Southeast Missouri State at the Denver Tri-Meet.

Cyclone gymnastics enters with a 3-4 record overall, while averaging 196.146 points per meet. The team has been bolstered by performances from freshman Noelle Adams, who averages a 9.887 on the floor exercise as well as junior Hannah Loyim, who averages 39.179 in all-around competition.

Denver enters with the highest ranking of the three teams in Morgantown. The team averages 197.308 points with a 9-2 record. It also boasts a 1-0 record against the Cyclones. The Pioneers’ only losses on the year came against the No. 1 team in the nation, Oklahoma.

West Virginia sits at 4-6 in overall competition, 0-1 in conference meets and 1-1 at home. The team enters off a win against Fisk University, where the team scored 194.7 points. The team averages 194.446 points per meet.

The West Virginia Tri-Meet will begin at 1 p.m. and will broadcast live on Big 12 Now through ESPN+.