Iowa State rides strong hitting to go 4-1 at UNLV Desert Classic

Tyler Coe/Iowa State Daily
Shortstop Alesia Ranches waits in the on-deck circle during Iowa State’s matchup with in-state rival Iowa on April 26.

The Iowa State softball team was on top this last weekend as it competed in the UNLV Desert Classic in Las Vegas.

The Cyclones finished with a record of 4 -1 for the weekend. That was the best record of all teams during the tournament.

Tight games highlighted day one

The Cyclones started off the weekend Friday with a tight win against UCSB, finishing with a final score of 3-2. Iowa State started off slow on offense in the beginning until sophomore Angelina Allen hit a two-RBI single.

The second game, the Cyclones played UNLV and were handed their only loss of the weekend 7-1. Senior first baseman Carli Spelhaug was Iowa State’s only run that came in as others were left stranded.

Freshman Lauren Schurman made her longest appearance so far this season for the Cyclones while she was in the circle. Schurman helped the Cyclones by only allowing three hits and striking out four in four and a third innings.

Pitcher carousel gets the job done

The Cyclones started off Saturday by playing UCSB again, taking the Gauchos to a close one. Iowa State won with a score of 11-9. Once again, Allen was a key part of the Cyclone offense, finishing the day with seven RBI’s over a pair of games.

While playing UCSB, Iowa State had four pitchers take the circle including freshmen pitchers Aziza Rodriguez and Lauren Schurman. Schurman finished her time on defense with three strikeouts to help her team.

Iowa State finishes with sweep over Bradley

Moving onto the second game on Saturday, the Cyclones played Bradley where they took the win 10-7. Senior pitcher Saya Swain had a dominant game in the circle, finishing with three hits allowed and had five strikeouts.

Finishing off the weekend, Iowa State played Bradley once more and took the win again 7-6 in eight innings. While they got the win, the Cyclones were behind the Braves for most of the game until the offense started moving.

Alesia Ranches was dominating the game at the plate to help the Cyclones win. Ranches hit a three-run home run to put Iowa State in the lead after being behind most of the game.