Cyclones’ offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase takes job with Los Angeles Rams

Jacob Rice
ISU offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase talks with players before the matchup against Oklahoma at Gaylord Memorial Stadium in Norman, OK on Sept. 30, 2023.

Iowa State offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase was hired by the Los Angeles Rams to take over as their pass game specialist Monday.

Scheelhaase took over as Iowa State’s offensive coordinator before the 2023 season and helped the Cyclones improve from a 4-8 season to a seven-win season and a bowl game appearance. Scheelhaase’s efforts in the passing game also saw first-year starter and redshirt freshman quarterback Rocco Becht break records in the air.

Iowa State’s passing game was the main contributor in the surprisingly successful season. With the run game struggling through most of 2023, the Cyclones relied on the air attack to sneak out wins.

Before taking over as offensive coordinator, Scheelhaase worked with the running backs and the wide receivers. Under Scheelhaase, a handful of Cyclones found success in their positions and even made it to the professional level, including Breece Hall and Xavier Hutchinson in recent years.

Scheelhaase will have the chance to work with star players on the Rams, as the team has hung its hat on the passing game after picking up quarterback Matthew Stafford in 2021. Since taking over the offense, Stafford and the passing game led the Rams to a Super Bowl win and saw wide receivers Cooper Kupp win the triple crown and rookie Puka Nacua have a historic season.

The Rams have many offensive weapons, especially in the passing game, that Scheelhaase can work with. Given his success at Iowa State, the Rams hired someone that could change the game in a good way.

Scheelhaase will take over in his new position at the start of the 2024 season, as Rams head coach Sean McVay finishes up his hiring process and fills out his coaching staff.