Cyclones finish non-conference play against No. 52 Oregon

Daniel Jacobi II
Nationally ranked at 54th in doubles, Anna Supapitch Kuearum (pictured) and Thasaporn Naklo prepare for a serve from 7th ranked Elise Wagle and Kimmi Hance from UCLA in the third round of the NCAA D1 Women’s Tennis Championship tournament in Ames, IA, on Friday, May 12, 2023.

Iowa State is set to take on the No. 52 Oregon Ducks in its second ranked matchup of the season Sunday in Iowa City, Iowa.

The Cyclones are coming off a 5-2 loss to their rival Hawkeyes, extending their losing streak to four matches, the longest since 2018-19, when the team lost 8 straight matchups.

On Friday, Oregon defeated the Hawkeyes 4-3 in a match that came down to the wire. The Ducks dominated doubles, but the teams split the singles matches three each. Considering the Cyclones lost to the same Iowa team a week ago, this will be a tough test for the young Iowa State team.

This is also the Cyclones’ final test before Big 12 Conference play, when they travel to Manhattan, Kansas, to take on the Kansas State Wildcats. The Big 12 includes 10 teams currently ranked in the top 60, including No. 1 Oklahoma State.

The match Sunday will be the second time the two teams have played each other. The first matchup dates back to 2011, when Oregon defeated the Cyclones in Eugene, Oregon, with a score of 5-2.

Iowa State will be trying to end a streak while Oregon is vying for its continuation. Iowa State has not won a match since Jan. 20, and has lost four straight. Oregon has won three straight matches dating back to Feb. 16.

The Ducks boast a strong doubles team, and they have won eight of 10 doubles points, the only losses coming from then-top-ranked North Carolina and Denver.

Iowa State is also still searching for consistent health for its team, as it has fielded a complete team for two of the six matches. Juliette Nask has struggled to stay on the court, and without a full roster, the other team is handed a singles point.

After a tough month of tennis for the Cyclones, the team must ride the strong play of Anna Supapitch Kuearum to win matches. A team cannot win a match with one player, but without the individual wins, it is impossible to get the overall victory as a team.

Kuearum and Isabella Dunlap need to use their veteran leadership and experience to mentor the young Cyclone players and help them battle the current obstacles they are facing.

Iowa State has its last test before Big 12 Conference play against the Oregon Ducks at 10 a.m. Sunday in Iowa City, Iowa.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500