Taylor Mouser promoted to offensive coordinator, Campbell continues to fill out coaching staff

Tyler Coe
Matt Campbell during warmups prior to the game against Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati on Oct. 14, 2023.

Iowa State football is planning to promote Taylor Mouser as the new offensive coordinator following the departure of Nate Scheelhaase.

With Scheelhaase moving up to the role of pass game coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams, Iowa State had an opening at offensive coordinator. Mouser’s long tenure with the Cyclones and success in his positions made him a clear candidate for Matt Campbell’s staff.

Mouser has been with Iowa State for nine years and has been working with the tight ends since 2021. Under Mouser, several Cyclone tight ends have found success and made it to the next level.

In the years since Mouser took over as tight ends coach, the Cyclones have produced talents such as Charlie Kolar, currently a backup tight end for the Baltimore Ravens, and Chase Allen, a leader in the tight end room during Iowa State’s success during the Brock Purdy era. Mouser helped freshman Benjamin Brahmer develop quickly into one of the best young tight ends in the Big 12.

Iowa State’s passing attack, and run game, has hinged on the strength of the tight end room for years, and that success did not go unnoticed as Mouser’s efforts have been rewarded.

Mouser took over an assistant head coaching role for the Cyclones in 2023 along with his duties as tight ends coach. With Mouser helping at the helm, the Cyclones saw a significant turnaround in their bowl-game season.

Mouser’s close-knit relationship with Campbell started in his days at Toledo, where he was a graduate assistant during Campbell’s time there.

Now, Mouser will move up again and take over the offensive coordinator role. Following the 2022 season, the Cyclones made a switch at the offensive coordinator position as well, as they promoted Scheelhaase from wide receiver/running backs coach to offensive coordinator. Now the Cyclones are following a similar route as Mouser follows in Scheelhaase’s footsteps.

With Mouser moving up to offensive coordinator, a hole opened up at the assistant coach spot. Campbell filled that spot quickly by hiring Tyler Roehl out of North Dakota State to take over as assistant head coach and also fill in as running backs coach.

Jake Waters was promoted a week ago to running backs coach, so the hiring of Roehl will move Waters to quarterbacks coach instead. Roehl had been offensive coordinator at North Dakota State and also recently took the same position at Tennessee State.

The day of coaching movement did not end there. Wide receivers coach Noah Pauley took over as Iowa State’s pass game coordinator.

Along with the pass game position getting filled, the run game coordinator was also filled by Ryan Clanton. The Cyclones brought Clanton on from Northern Iowa prior to the 2023 season to take over as offensive line coach.

It appears Campbell is continuing to make moves filling out his staff before the spring season starts up. With positions still available, there could be more moves in the near future.