Wellman: Trump’s vice president shortlist

Cleo Westin
Former President Donald Trump looks at the crowd before speaking at the Lincoln dinner on July 28, 2023.

Last week, the Trump campaign leaked their vice president shortlist just before his Primetime Fox News Townhall in South Carolina, hosted by Laura Ingraham. So, who is on his list and how did they get there, besides the obvious requirement of their endorsement?  

1. Kristi Noem 

The two-term governor of South Dakota and former four-term U.S. congresswoman from South Dakota’s at-large seat, and we can’t forget about her four-year stint as a state representative, is a significant choice as she has been one of the former president’s most vocal supporters, during and after his term in the White House. However, it’s not just her support that lands her on the list, it’s the experience and accomplishments that propel her to the top.  

As governor of South Dakota, Noem was one of the most prominent people to stand against government encroachment on our civil liberties during COVID-19, not shutting down the state once. Now, she is branding herself across the country, advertising as creating the freest state in the union. Some have seen her ads promoting the state’s great workforce opportunities and freeing up red tape to allow individuals with certain licenses from other states to come and work there without going through the process again. Others may know her slogan from her first year as governor, “Meth. We’re on it.” to help fight the drug epidemic and bring attention to the problem. But we can’t forget her other accomplishments as governor like lowering taxes, deploying state troops to the southern border and protecting women’s sports in South Dakota.  

Her time as a U.S. congresswoman brings sound experiences as well, such as important committee assignments, votes and bills throughout her tenure. Noem’s committee assignments include the powerful Armed Services Committee and Ways and Means Committee. The Armed Services Committee has jurisdiction over the six branches of military, readiness programs and classified intelligence briefings regarding foreign policy, covert operations and joint military activities with our allies. She also served on the Ways and Means Committee, often seen as the most prestigious and important committee throughout the legislative branch. This committee has jurisdiction over healthcare, work and welfare programs, social security, international trade agreements and taxes. This committee sees approximately one-third of all bills introduced during the two-year congressional term, which is usually over 10,000 bills.  

It’s not just her experience and time throughout the different roles she has held, but it’s the fact that she is a woman. This, along with her cheery attitude and fun yet smart poise, will help bring suburban women and those unsure of another Trump presidency over to the ticket.  

2. Tim Scott 

Next on the list is a former 2024 presidential candidate turned hardcore backer of former President Trump. Tim Scott currently serves as South Carolina’s junior Senator where he sits on a variety of committees that have large impacts on foreign and economic policy. His path to the Senate doesn’t come normally. Instead of winning his election to serve in the upper chamber, he was appointed by Governor Nikki Haley in 2013 after serving just one term in the U.S. House of Representatives. Yes, the same former governor who is running for president against Donald Trump and lost in the Palmetto State.  

Senator Scott wouldn’t be all that bad and could help bring in votes from different demographics of the electorate, especially minorities. With his soft demeanor, kind smile and intelligent intellect, Scott will help balance out some of the “harshness” that few believe former President Trump holds, a view I don’t share. With his general likeability and experience in the federal government, it would be wrong to count him out as the next number two in America.

3. Tulsi Gabbard 

This one-time democratic presidential contender in 2020 has quickly become a favorite among those close to Trump and conservatives around the country. In 2022, Gabbard left the Democratic Party and went on a rampage, endorsing conservative candidates for Congress around the country. But who is Gabbard, and has she made the full circle from the once Bernie Sanders supporter to one of the former president’s?  

In 2012, Gabbard was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Hawaii’s 2nd Congressional District, focusing on military and foreign policy throughout her four terms in Congress. She even bucked her party in 2019, voting present at the impeachment of President Trump, citing that they were too close to another election year. But her change didn’t start here, instead it started after she left Congress and became an Independent.  

In 2016, she supported Bernie Sanders for a few reasons. First, she refused to give any support to Hillary Clinton, eventually calling her the “embodiment of corruption,” and secondly, she supported some of his policies, such as gun control. However, since her departure from the Democratic Party, she has changed, becoming a supporter of the Second Amendment, questioning Universal Paid Income and Universal Healthcare. Has the horseshoe model gotten around to Gabbard? Maybe, maybe not. But her experience in Congress and her time after has given her a foothold on this list.  

4. Vivek Ramaswamy  

Another 2024 presidential contender hits the list as a favorite to the more MAGA crowd within the GOP. Known for calling out reporters and anyone but Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump on debate stages, Ramaswamy hasn’t been involved in the political arena but has extensive experience as a businessman. However, Donald Trump was a newcomer in 2016, so this doesn’t really matter. Throughout 2023 and the first few weeks of 2024, he was often campaigning around Iowa as Trump 2.0, coming in a distant fourth from the real Donald Trump. But can his outsider status and the constant lies from his campaign be ignored just enough to put him on the ticket?  

Ramaswamy brings something to the table that almost everyone else brings, but not quite like him: his youth. Ramaswamy is known for defending TikTok to his being, and for this, he has been able to reach young voters better than anyone else in the party for quite some time. This, along with his energetic self, can help the ticket bring forth a voting bloc we haven’t seen in a long time, young voters who have voted heavily Democratic.  

5. Byron Donalds  

This two-term Florida congressman is most known for his unsuccessful run for speaker of the house at the beginning of the 118th Congress, where it took members five days to elect one of the shortest-tenured speakers of all time, Kevin McCarthy. He could also be known for his fiery debates in committee hearings or on CNN. Rep. Donalds can help bring in the minority votes throughout the country, a large bloc that can help propel Donald Trump back to the Oval Office. However, he too is from Florida, which doesn’t make much sense when you start counting electoral college votes.  

6. Ron DeSantis 

The governor gets no analysis as he has now bowed out of the race for second place, meaning he has said he has no interest in becoming Trump’s running mate.  

Other names that have been floated include House GOP Conference Chair, and U.S. Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (NY-21), freshman U.S. Senator Katie Britt (AL), freshman U.S. Senator J.D. Vance (OH), Political Commentator Tucker Carlson and former South Carolina Governor and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Ambassador Nikki Haley (which is beyond unlikely).  

Yes, these are ranked in the order of who I believe will be the running mate.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500