Cyclone offense not enough to prevail, go 2-3 at Colorado Classic

Joseph Dicklin
Milaysia Ochoa catching a deep ball to center field during the Drake vs. Iowa State softball match on Sept. 29, 2023.

The Iowa State softball team traveled west to compete in the Colorado Classic and finished with a record of 2-3.

The Cyclones started the weekend playing against Colorado State Friday. Iowa State then picked up a pair of wins over Northern Colorado before falling to the Rams again Sunday.

Rams overpower Cyclones on day one

The first game against the Rams was tied 1-1 until the sixth inning when Colorado State took control on offense. The Rams scored five runs to take the lead against the Cyclones 6-1 and eventually win 6-2

In the second game against the Rams, the Cyclones kept it close; however, they fell again with a score of 5-4. Iowa State outhit Colorado State, however, left many runners on base during both games.

Alesia Ranches had an outstanding game for the Cyclones having three hits and one run. Senior pitcher Karlie Charles had a solid game in the circle, ending the game with only one walk and two strikeouts.

Evening it out on day two

The Cyclones played Northern Colorado on Saturday, where they picked up their only wins of the weekend. Iowa State took the first game against Northern Colorado, winning in five innings and finishing with a score of 14-1.

The Cyclone’s offense was on fire in the first game as they had 14 runs on 14 hits. Once again, Angelina Allen was a leader for Iowa State on offense, going 6-for-7 at the plate, along with Olivia Wardlow, going 5-for-6 at the plate.

The second game against Northern Colorado ended closer than the first game with a final score of 8-6, but the Cyclones did squeak out a second win.

Iowa State fell behind quickly in the second game, starting down 5-1 early on. The Cyclones would go on a run to catch up to the Bears and tie the game 6-6.

Senior Milaysia Ochoa was the leader for the Cyclones as she hit a two-run home run to take the win for the team with a final score of 8-6.

Colorado State gets the last laugh

The last game in Colorado for the Cyclones was once again against the Rams. Colorado State took another win from Iowa State with a final score of 9-6.

Iowa State was ahead most of the game till the Rams had a spark on offense, hitting multiple home runs in the third and fourth innings. Once again, Allen was a leader on offense for the Cyclones, going 3-for-4 at the plate and getting her eighth home run of the season.