Memorial Union changes operation hours

Jenna Reeves/Iowa State Daily

The Memorial Union proves a good study spots for Courtney Leslie, junior in accounting and management, and Mckaila Von Rentzell, junior in animal science. Students spend the week preparing for finals in spots all around campus.

Kaylie Crowe

The Iowa State Memorial Union is changing their hours of operation. Previously, the building was open 24 hours, but will now be open from 7 a.m. until 1:30 a.m.

Officials hope changing the hours will save money. 

“At our meeting, the discussion centered around operational efficiency and to save money,” said Kevin Drury, president of the Memorial Union board of directors. “In order to do so we tracked when students came in and out and when it was busiest.”

The Memorial Union board of directors noticed after 1 a.m., the MU had been consistently empty, Drury said.

“It doesn’t make sense to have the building open if there are very few people or if there is no one in the building,” said Steve Winfrey, director of the Memorial Union. “Thus, we wanted to be business minded and save on costs.” 

Jennie Norris, president of the Student Union Board, said the students she has spoken with have not noticed the change in hours.

“I have been in the Memorial Union very late at night and there are very few students in the building,” Norris said. “I believe closing during not-so-busy hours is a good idea for several reasons, including security.”

Drury said there is no student feedback he is aware of on the change so far.