Cyclones fall short in final home meet of the season

Josue Aleman
Laura Cooke sticks the landing after her bars routine as part of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series gymnastics meet against the University of Iowa, Hilton Coliseum, March 8, 2024.

The Cyclones gymnastics team entered their final home meet of the season, reinvigorating their in-state rivalry with Iowa on Friday.

Iowa State entered with a 7-9 record, coming off a second-place finish in a nailbiter at the NC State Quad-Meet where the hosting Wolfpack took the crown.

The Cyclones and Hawkeyes hold the No. 34 and 35 ranks in the standings, respectively. Iowa State dropped its final home meet of the season, 196.450-196.175, and a fifth straight to the Hawkeyes.

Seniors show out on senior night

With the Cy-Hawk game being the final home meet of the season, the meet coincided with senior night at Hilton.

That meant many seniors were hosted as Cyclones for the final time on Friday, providing them a big night to show out.

Senior Loganne Basuel performed in the second rotation, where she participated in the uneven parallel bars where she scored her season-high of 9.925 points.

Fellow senior Laura Cooke also participated in the uneven bars, scoring 9.8 points.

During the first rotation, where the Cyclones participated in the vault, Emilie Hong earned a 9.850 and Kaia Parker scored 9.800.

Lauren Thomas participated in the uneven bars and the balance beam, scoring a 9.750 and a 9.825.

Bergstrom shines

Junior Josie Bergstrom posted one of the personal best performances of the season. Bergstrom opened by competing in the vault and followed on the balance beam.

The junior scored a 9.85 in the vault event, tying for the highest vault score of the night with teammate Hong. Bergstrom then scored a team-high 9.875 points on the balance beam to close the night, which was third overall for the meet.

Even home record

Despite a strong start on their record at home during the season, the Cyclones faltered in the final two of four home meets.

The team fell to the Hawkeyes, evening their home record with a 2-2 on the year. Their loss to the Hawkeyes put them at 7-10 overall on the year.