Good Cop/Bad Cop: Kansas State

Jacob Rice
Hason Ward boxes out Kansas State David N’Guessan during a free-throw attempt, Fred Bramlage Coliseum, Manhattan, Kansas, March 9, 2024.

Good Cop: Pavle Markovic

As Iowa State prepares to play its first game of the Big 12 Tournament, it finds itself in a rematch with a Kansas State team that is coming off a recent win at home against the Cyclones.

Now the slates are wiped clean, as both teams look to fight their way towards a potential Big 12 Tournament title as the Cyclones take on Kansas State with an extra day of preparation.

The Wildcats had to play Texas to move on and play Iowa State in the next round of the tournament, and they pulled off a wildly close game against the Longhorns 78-74 Wednesday night.

This game could also prove whether the Cyclones used the extra day of preparation to the fullest of their abilities or show that the team may have needed to get a game in before to gain some momentum.

While I do have Iowa State getting revenge against Kansas State on Thursday night, I do expect it to once again be uncomfortably close against a Wildcat team fighting to hear its name called on Selection Sunday.

No. 2 Iowa State 72, No. 10 Kansas State 67

Bad Cop: Brett Twelmeyer

Iowa State begins its journey at Hilton South with a recent opponent in Kansas State. The same Kansas State team that beat the Cyclones not even a week ago.

The matchup comes via the Wildcats’ win over Texas to set up round three of the men’s basketball version of Farmageddon. This time it is win or go home.

I do think that Iowa State is a better team than Kansas State, but the issue I have is that the Wildcats play similarly to the Cyclones. Like we saw Saturday, Kansas State has the ability to play the Cyclones’ brand of basketball better.

The other aspect it boils down to is Kansas State is still fighting for a spot in the NCAA Tournament. A win over Iowa State would be needed to keep the Wildcats alive for the big dance.

The Cyclones are already locked into the tournament, probably as a No. 3 seed. All they would be playing for at this point is a shot at a No. 2 seed and a locked-up spot in Omaha, which can still come about if they do end up as a No. 3 seed, regardless of the outcome of this game.

With more to play for in this one, and the recent struggles for the Iowa State offense, I have no doubt that Kansas State will beat the Cyclones again and end the Big 12 Tournament early for the cardinal and gold.

No. 10 Kansas State 69, No. 2 Iowa State 63