Wellman: Will the GOP come home for Trump? They should.

Cleo Westin
Former President Donald Trump stands at the podium of the 2023 Iowa GOP Lincoln Dinner on July 28, 2023.

After Nikki Haley dropped out and Donald Trump reached the delegate threshold, he is the GOP nominee for president of the United States. Even with over 90 charges, trials having begun and large parts of the public media out to get him, he and his campaign showed nothing but strength throughout the contests so far. However, to win back the presidency, Trump will have to unite the party, get independents behind him and buck some of these trials postponed until after the election.  

In 2016, the divided GOP came home for Trump with 93% of the vote. This was massive, fueled by a variety of things. First, the MAGA voters who loved Trump as soon as he came down his golden escalator, of which, many still do. Second, their hatred for Hillary Clinton, who many viewed as an opportunistic criminal, with many speculating that she has had enemies murdered, which is why Barack Obama didn’t choose her as his vice president. Of course, this is speculation, and some consider them conspiracy theories. What are not conspiracy theories though are her thousands of deleted emails, bleached servers and destroyed personal cell phones. Finally, Americans were offered something other than the last eight years of their lives and they took it.

This leads us directly to where the GOP is today, as some might say a divided party because of Trump himself. However, the GOP has been divided for quite some time, and if anything, in 2016 and 2020, Trump has united the party at the ballot box. Additionally, in 2016 the GOP was more divided than it is now, with both the Ted Cruz and the Trump camps wanting blood for each, mostly fueled by both candidates’ remarks about each other, but they got in line and voted. This must be the case for the GOP in 2024.  

Us Americans are in a much different place than we were before COVID, compared to where we are now. High inflation, an out-of-control border, foreign wars and energy weakness are the norm of today, while the norm under the first Trump Administration was cheap gas and energy prices, bold foreign policy with no new wars (besides the much-needed U.S.-China Trade War), a much more secure border where new barriers were being built and economic growth was bolting through the sky.  

It’s without a doubt that some don’t like Trump because of his personality. Of course, it is valid, as he often doesn’t hold back on his harsh criticism of his opponents or people that he doesn’t like in general. It’s his biggest downfall, but that is also why so many people love him. All around the country, even the world, people are looking for that kind of harsh reality that polished politicians don’t and will never have. However, it’s a balancing act. Are you willing to go for the polished politician with policies that make our lives harder, or the harsh reality type that made our lives better? The GOP needs to come together, ignore the lie that Joe Biden will protect democracy and vote for the guy that has and will again institute policies that support families, students and everyone else in between.

View Comments (5)
$2700
$2500