Third annual Black Art Exhibit to showcase student works

Artists+gather+at+the+reception+for+the+Black+Art+Exhibit+in+2022.+
ISU College of Design MSS
Artists gather at the reception for the Black Art Exhibit in 2022.

The third annual Black Art Exhibit will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. March 28 in the Memorial Union’s Multicultural Center.

A collaborative event between Multicultural Student Success and Multicultural Student Affairs, the Black Art Exhibit began in 2022 and remains an outlet for Black and African-identifying students to display their works of art.

“We have art in different forms, so we have people who submit paintings, who submit drawings, sculpture,” said Arnold Woods, director of Multicultural Student Success for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “We’ve had people do dance before, [and] we have a spoken word component. So it’s basically just an artistic expression featuring students who are a part of the African diaspora.”

According to Woods, the exhibit expects anywhere between 15 to 20 artwork submissions each year.

Woods said while the artwork will remain on display at the Multicultural Center after March 28, the event itself includes a reception with appetizers, performances and a collaborative canvas for attendees to contribute to. The event is open to anyone on campus.

“It’s a fun event. It’s an event that allows students to express their creativity and express their leadership capabilities in a creative way, and we just want it to be a space where people can celebrate artwork and creativity,” Woods said.