GO-ECpE: Fostering community for engineering graduate students

Members+of+GO_ECpE+at+a+coffee+and+conversation+event.+
Rahmat Adesunkanmi
Members of GO_ECpE at a coffee and conversation event.

The Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Student Organization (GO-ECpE) serves to foster a sense of community and professional development within the ECpE graduate student body.

Rahmat Adesunkanmi, a PhD student in electrical and computer engineering and the president of GO-ECpE, began her involvement with the organization in October 2022.

Adesunkanmi said she wanted to make a difference for her colleagues in an environment that aims to be safe and social.

“I just wanted to create that assistance and social space for everybody. That’s what we’ve been trying to do for the past four years,” Adesunkanmi said.

Adesunkanmi, who came to Iowa State from Nigeria in 2018, said GO-ECpE helped bring her closer to people with shared interests.
Adesunkanmi said she was one of the few African students the organization had when she first arrived at Iowa State.

“As the years go by, [I met] more African students,” Adesunkanmi said.

The organization has been under reformation, Adesunkanmi said, and members are working to plan a new semester of events.

In the upcoming semester, Adesunkanmi said GO-ECpE is planning a series of events inviting industries to socialize and network with fellow graduate students within the department of engineering.

“For the last semester, we’re hoping to do a potluck with the idea that GO-ECpE is more social than professional,” Adesunkanmi said. “So even though we are trying to induce some more professional events, we’re trying to keep it as social as possible.”

Other upcoming events include coffee and conversation, a GO-ECpE social occurring on the last three Fridays of the semester.

“In that way, we can start the conversation,” Adesunkanmi said. “We’d also like to continue the conversation that we have started. Everything is quite new for the first few months. We’re just trying to get into rolling back, so we are looking into more programs as we evolve.”

More information about GO-ECpE can be found on the organization’s website.