Cyclone gymnastics prepares for Big 12 Championship

Josue Aleman
Noelle Adams flips on the beam during her routine as part of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series gymnastics meet against the University of Iowa, Hilton Coliseum, March 8, 2024.

After the conclusion of their regular season, the Cyclones find themselves preparing to face the Big 12 in pursuit of a conference championship. At the event, hosted by Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma, the Cyclones will face off with the other four Big 12 gymnastics squads.

As it stands, the Cyclones are perfectly even in conference play. They boast wins over BYU and West Virginia, but two losses to Denver. However, they have not yet faced the hosting Sooners.

Iowa State will enter the meet as the fourth highest-ranked team in the Big 12, ranking above West Virginia at No. 51. The team sits at No. 36 currently, averaging 196.075 points per meet.

Their regular season record sits below .500, after going 8-12. The Cyclones’ season ended on a short losing skid after failing to place first in their tri or quad meets after a late January win over Illinois State.

The Big 12 holds daunting competitors, including the No. 1 overall team in the nation and the reigning Big 12 Champions, Oklahoma. The Sooners average 198.310 points per meet, and nearly scored 199 points against Alabama earlier this season. The Sooners did not lose a single meet this season with a record of 25-0.

Denver is not far behind in the standings, sitting at No. 8. The team averages 197.409 points per meet. However, the Pioneers’ season high of 198.025 sits beneath Oklahoma’s season average. The Pioneers are 19-2, with their only losses coming against the Sooners.

BYU strays further down the board, holding the No. 33 spot, with an average score of 196.298 points per meet. The Cougars are 9-13 this season, with a singular conference win over West Virginia.

West Virginia sits at No. 51, averaging 194.985 points per meet. The Mountaineers are currently 8-15, without a single conference win.

The Big 12 Championships will start at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The event will be broadcast on ESPNU.